Has anyone gone 5 lug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone gone 5 lug?

I know, not necessary with a car so light, but with the larger engines and trans being put in, like some in the rear, some of those donor cars did use a 5 lug bolt pattern on their OEM wheels and brakes. I'm wondering this because i saw a local guys mx-3 and it WAS 5 lug (not spacer adapters) so I'm wondering what he recovered to make it work.
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

I think no one has done it cause there hasn't been a need to, I know I plan to keep my aspire brakes, just my 2 cents

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I poked around and found some overseas fe3 transplanted car with mx-6 items, so that is probably how he did it. Just figured id ask because quite a few members borrow from mazda parts bin because they have or had a larger mazda as well.
      1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

I used a 5 lug bolt pattern ..... its a simple bolt/ weld together thing
        money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

^^^^ glad to see you're still giving advice Nova..... I'm working on gettting together a brake swap and I'm not planning (yet) to go to 5 lug
          Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
          89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
          Projects in the works:
          84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Fox body Mustangs used four lugs. Alot heavier than a Festiva with more torque. I think you're safe with four.........
            1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
            1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
            1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
            1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
            1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
            1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
            1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
              I poked around and found some overseas fe3 transplanted car with mx-6 items, so that is probably how he did it. Just figured id ask because quite a few members borrow from mazda parts bin because they have or had a larger mazda as well.
              Mx-6's are also BG chassis so getting the right hubs so the axles can be re-used would be easier, i would think with a festiva beig BF chassis, finding a 5 lug hub that would work with our axles would be next to impossible

the other option would be to get custom axles with a 5 lug hub and that would shoot the cost sky high and for what? an extra lug nut? no thanks :lol:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Fox body mustangs with 10 inch rotors. Yeah i owned a few of those cars. Ford NEVER overbrakes any of their models. I'm a safe driver and i still slid a 2000 focus ontop of a tacoma's trailer ball because he decided to stop on a green arrow.

just because it was marginally safe in 1979 doesnt make it safe then or now
                1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
                  Fox body mustangs with 10 inch rotors. Yeah i owned a few of those cars. Ford NEVER overbrakes any of their models. I'm a safe driver and i still slid a 2000 focus ontop of a tacoma's trailer ball because he decided to stop on a green arrow.

just because it was marginally safe in 1979 doesnt make it safe then or now
                  You never drove an 87-88 Thunderbird turbocoupe did you? That might change your mind. 11 inch front disc and 10.2 rear disc and abs. No stopping problems.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

theres plenny of turbo hondas out there making serious hp with 4 lugs.

if your are not planning to make more then 600hp , dont worry about it.

Comment

"you aint thuggin if ur 4 luggin."

-random "hellaflush jdm mad tite driterz hella sunk fitment" terminology for yall.

Comment

Nope never drove a turbocoupe. I did upgrade an 89 notchback to its 3.73 disc rear end and added a prop valve with 1993 cobra wheels. Car is still in my hometown, like 5th owner lol. The LX and GT mustang was inferior to tbirds and mark 7 of those years bigtime.

Anyway since you guys can still spline a g series or whatever you are using into the festiva spindles i guess the larger everything is not needed, makes sense.
                        1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Wheel-wise there really isn't a benefit either. Most of the time when there is a 5-lug car they have big wheels which won't generally fit on the Festiva. I would say stick with 4-lugs just for the fact you can find 13s and 14s in that size.

Now, if it was me, and I had my 240Z flares...
                          Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
                          1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
                          2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
                          2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisofna View Post
                            Wheel-wise there really isn't a benefit either. Most of the time when there is a 5-lug car they have big wheels which won't generally fit on the Festiva. I would say stick with 4-lugs just for the fact you can find 13s and 14s in that size.

Now, if it was me, and I had my 240Z flares...
                            Yeah that is ultimately how i was thinking it. For example if a custom shogun or replica has a so much wider track in the rear, some other cars front end would help match it up more and make a festiva look like some French or italian rally job by the time it was done with custom fenders molded of course.
                            1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

I like how they look unpainted and not molded in, just with the rubber welting.
                              Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
                              1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
                              2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
                              2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                              X