Festy rotors on Aspire spindles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festy rotors on Aspire spindles

Hey all, had a quick question about the festy to aspire brake swap (yes I have searched to archives, but came up blank on this).

I'm working on a 93 and am interested in better braking, however I'm not in the market (yet) to mess with getting new rims/tires since I just got a new set of rubber not to long ago. I know to do the brake swap you need the spindle, hub, rotor, calipers, and tie rod ends.

What I'm wondering is if you could use the aspire spindles, calipers and tie rod ends, but use the festy hub/rotor in order to keep the stock bolt pattern? Will it fit? From what I can tell, the rotors themselves don't vary too much as far as the braking surface, I guess the differance would be in the actual spindle diameter. If all else fails I spose I could go play around at the local U-wrench and try the fit, but just wanted to see if anyone knew beforehand. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Jon

once you do the aspire swap, you can't go back

you will absolutely have to use the aspire wheel or something that will use the new bolt pattern.

the festiva and aspire rotors DO NOT interchange.

Comment

Even if you could fit a Festiva hub and rotor onto an Aspire knuckle, how would that improve your braking? You'd still be stuck with a thin, solid rotor! I suppose you'd keep the Festiva rear axle, too. Then you'd have no improvements at all!

Don't make no sense.

Save your pennies till you can buy new wheels and rubber. How much could a set of cheap Aspire steelies and 13" tires cost? They aren't perfect, but they'd keep you rolling. If you're lucky you'd find a decent set of junkyard rubber on those Aspire rims.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Also John, since you put "central OH" as a location, check out the Columbus U Pull It. Last time I was there they had FIVE Aspires. I think they charge $5 each for steel rims and $11 each for tires. Those rims weren't brand new, but they'll work. Some of the rubber should be good.

Check it out. Also, I've had a set of 155/80-13 All seasons for sale in the "For sale" area for some time now. They're in nice shape. You can have them half price, which IIRC, would be only $10. I need to get rid of them. If you want 'em act fast because I'll lower the price for everyone and bump it up soon.

You coming to Ohiostiva III?

Karl

Comment

Maybe you could get the aspire stuff redrilled for the festiva bolt pattern?

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
          BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
          BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
          New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Actually I am in Columbus at OSU for grad school, and I hit the U-wrench at least once a week. They did have 5 aspires, but I think they are now down to about 3 since they just cleaned out one corner of the lot. I've managed to strip about any options that were left off the festys though.

I may go ahead and pull the parts I'd need to do the brake swap, possibly suspension swap and just have them on hand. Brakes aren't a priority yet, need to get new struts and springs first (I actually need the struts).

As far as Ohiostiva, would depend on when and where.

Comment

Here's the official Ohiostiva III thread:

Karl

Comment

Working...
              X