Aspire/Festiva suspension swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire/Festiva suspension swap

Nice to have read on the Internet somewhere that the fabled suspension swap is only a 4 hour undertaking including scavenging the donor Aspire. This afternoon I finally had a go at starting to perform this miracle transplant.
    For novices out there; do not for one minute believe that this is a simple backyard-mechanic undertaking.
    Find somebody with automotive experience, hoist, proper (air impact, 1/2 inch drive etc) tools and a 'blue wrench' (acetylene torches), particularly if you happen to live in areas where they use salt on the roads. The Aspire (a 97 low mileage auto that I bought and drove from Montreal before Christmas) came apart cleanly enough (lots of brute force, big hammer and a really long bar) over the course of a couple of days and I grabbed anything and everything suspension-related (plus the motor) before sending that strange-looking machine off to the recycler. The entire car fit on its side in the bed of a 3/4 ton long box Chev!
    Part One; rear wheels. Festiva-wise: without removing the actual driver's side trailing arm pivot bracket the pivot bolt cannot be fully driven out because the GD (Gosh Darned) gas tank is in the way. Ultimately it turns out Aspire brackets are not only Festiva compatible but they're much more robust with thicker steel and they also lower the trailing arm pivot points so that bolt removal (on both sides of the car) is much easier. I noticed that the spring perch of an Aspire shock is situated about 3/8 in higher up than that of a Festiva so tomorrow I will compare newly ordered Aspire shocks with Festiva ones (Monroe mfg) before deciding on which ones to use. In theory there is less chance of tire rubbing with a higher spring perch but it remains to be seen if the Festiva springs will adapt.
    The Festiva trailing arm was torched (because it was a SOB to get the shocks off undamaged at the wheel hubs) and the Aspire assembly was installed late this afternoon and tomorrow is scheduled for brake line and e-brake hookup, shocks and other rear end stuff. I would be taking pictures all along the way but the garage is dark, dirty and messy and, truth be known, all I really want to see is the end product.

Hi Bert!

I've done three suspension swaps so far, so here are my comments on your comments, plus some more of my comments.

Hoist? I never used a hoist. Good floor jack and jackstands should do fine.

Impact wrench and heat may indeed be necessary. I had to hire a mobile guy on my first swap to get my LCAs off. Now I have my own impact tools and lots more knowledge. Prepping as many bolts and nuts as possible several days before you start wqith PB Blaster before taking things off is a good idea, and if this is your first major wrenching project, someone who knows more would be nice.

As noted, the rear Aspire brackets should be unbolted from the Aspire and they will go directly on the Festiva.

Festiva rear springs should work fine on the Aspire specific rear struts. This might raise the back end an inch or less, but that's minor.

Further comments:

Since Aspire parts are getting old and tired, newer parts would be nice. One source is the Kia Rio for front struts. '01 and '02 Rio front struts bolt into Festivas and Aspires. My latest swap did this. I took off the Rio springs and put on cut Aspire springs to keep the height close to stock. I cut the Aspire springs ONE COIL each to get about stock ride height on a Festiva.

If you use Rio front struts, you might want to consider fitting the Rio front brake hoses, which should fit the strut brackets perfectly. Otherwise, you might find the metal Aspire hose fittings will not go in. I zip tied mine temporarily.

Replacing the Festiva ebrake cable with an Aspire unit is nice. If you don't, you may have some "reach" issues at the brake levers, especially if you are putting in new rear shoes. On Luxstiva, I made a short extender from ebrake connector parts, which solved the problem nicely. If you do this, you'll only need one side. The length difference is only about 1/4" so it's not much.

Here's the link to my build thread:

Members Builds (questions about repair or how to do something belong in the proper forum)

I wholly agree that first timers should allow plenty of time to do this swap. Ideally, you will remove all the Aspire parts, collect most of the new parts you need, do any rebuilding of calipers, etc. first, then begin taking apart the Festiva. Allow at least an entire weekend (beginning right after work on Friday!) to begin the actual swap under ideal circumstances.* Be prepared to run to a parts store for unforeseen parts, cleaner, tool needs...

*Note that "ideal circumstances" can be a rare animal!

Thanks Bert,

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 03-16-2011, 05:09 AM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Thanks for the advice Safety Guy. I've worked on cars and trucks for 35 years (on blocks and jacks in driveways and under trees mostly) but this particular stunt is one of the more time consuming ones. Having access to a hoist so that the car is in your face and not above and close to your horizontal body is definitely a plus. I have already noticed that rim and tire selection will be wide open once this is complete. I've never liked being constrained by 'cheesehound' wheels and tires. Way way back (1975) I was the first guy around here to install European radial tires on an Austin Cooper. What an unbelievable handling difference that made over the common $10 bias-ply Motomaster "Safety 99s" (veteran Canadian car pilots will appreciate this).

Comment

Ha! I can see your point about the hoist. That's why I rolled my car on it's side when I redid all the hard lines underneath! Better to work on them at shoulder level than lying on my back with less than two feet of space.

The hoist would be quite welcome to do the back end. Positioning & mounting the rear axle and struts with springs isn't the easiest, and might be a lot easier if you could raise the back end up around four feet. Another person there to help doesn't hurt either!

Karl

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
          Festiva rear springs should work fine on the Aspire specific rear struts. This might raise the back end an inch or less, but that's minor.
          I'd say it's desirable!

Comment

Yep, especially when working with older worn springs.

Karl

Comment

Awesome thread and great timing, I just took delivery of a doner Aspire to do the swap on my Festiva.
              '89 MX-6 GT, 2560R
              '91 Miata MSPNP 2871R B6T
              '93 Festiva B6T

Comment

Great! Do your prep work (including PB Blaster soaking!), collect everything you think you need, take the Aspire apart and then wait till you have a couple days to do the install work.

Have fun!

Karl

Comment

For rust country, be careful removing the Festiva trailing arm bracket bolts also. They *CAN* snap off trying to get them loose from the shell, adding even more work to your swap. We had one we were removing the trailing arm assy off that twisted and sheered the sheet metal around the attaching point even using a 3/4 air impact. Luckily, this was on a shell to be scrapped, and the trailing arm was used to build a light duty trailer for a 4 wheeler.

Michael
                  Have owned 9 so far
                  White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                  Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                  Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                  Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                  Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

^X2 I had to drill and tap out 3 of the 4 bolts on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by m715 View Post
                      and the trailing arm was used to build a light duty trailer for a 4 wheeler.
                      Not to hijack the thread or anything, but do you have any pics of said trailer? I have an old Festiva rear beam leftover that I've been thinking about building a light duty trash hauling trailer (probably about 4x6x4) out of. Haven't gotten much past the "thinking about" stage yet, but I'd love to see an example of how someone did it.
                      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

No, I don't. One of Emil's(that I work with) neighbors supposedly built it, but I haven't seen it. That little escapade caused a rash of thefts on his farm, and led to him scrapping all the shells he had. He had 50+ Festivas by that point come and go, and everyone it seemed had decided that any parts were free game as they pleased. He got out of the Festiva business at that point, and only has two left... one to drive, and one as a spare. He got me into Festivas with the famous last words.... I've got a real nice festiva out at the house............. It was the Curmudgeon, and the rest is history.

Michael
                        Have owned 9 so far
                        Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!

Comment

The Aspire rear suspension is now in place and all the structural installation was relatively straight forward. However nickle & dime items like hose and brake line brackets were not the same nor located in identical locations. Do not throw anything Festiva-derived away until the suspension transplant is completely assembled. Nuts and bolts and retainer clips differed between Aspire and Festiva and my buddy and I wound up putting on whichever of the two could be made to fit. Played the torch over a seized brake line fitting and bleeder screw of one of the Aspire wheel cylinders and discovered it to be an aluminum casting (ie it crumbled). Lucky a local auto supplier had conventional Aspire cylinders (old dusty boxes marked 'made in USA") on hand. An aluminum wheel cylinder was a new experience for this old dog, never come across one before. Of course, I've never owned 'class' machinery either and it could be Ferraris probably use titanium. The Festiva E-brake re-attached OK but, as Safety Guy suggested, I think it will have to be extended a tiny bit (1/4-1/2 inch?) on the drivers side so the rubber-hung cable coupling bracket sits straight. With some luck the new Aspire shocks will arrive tomorrow and I'll see if there is a way to make a convenient access inside the car (so as not to have to remove all the plastic rear panels every time) for attaching shock absorbers. Turns out I was lucky with the what I figured was an exorbitant ($500) donor-parts Aspire purchase: new battery, 4 brand new snow tires, 4 decent summers, new shoes, pads, rotors/calipers and drums were on it (as the seller had claimed) and the B3 motor (with 150K) ran like a top. So far so good!

Comment

Thanks for the update, and it's always good to have a parts car on hand, never know how the little things can make such a difference until you need them.
                            '89 MX-6 GT, 2560R
                            '91 Miata MSPNP 2871R B6T
                            '93 Festiva B6T

Comment

Just a side note on the rear struts... The Monroe struts for Aspire applications have the higher spring perch as they should. The KYB brand has the perch in the Festiva height for both Festiva & Aspire applications. The KYB's are only good if you intend on using 155/80/13 as 175/70/13 (or I would assume all larger sizes depending on offset) will just touch the perch as the tire heats up traveling down the road in the corners. I could smell hot rubber as the SIDE WALL touched on the Michelins 175/70 I ran in last summer on Shtinky.

Michael
                              Have owned 9 so far

Comment

Working...
                              X