Aspire/Festiva rear spindle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire/Festiva rear spindle question

One of the projects I'm considering is building a trailer out of the back half of a Festiva. By the time I'm ready to do that my Aspire brake swap will be complete. My question is this... will the Aspire rear brake drum/bearing assembly
    fit on the Festiva spindles? If it does it will be a lot easier to match wheels between the car and the trailer.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

You know, I have been wondering about that myself. The Aspire backing plate/spindle (4 bolts) appears to be the same alignment and spacing as that of a Festiva. Would make short work of doing a wheel swap, compared to removing trailing arms and all that pamphernalia. If it was really important to you I could take time out to check since I just completed the Aspire/Festiva suspension swap and all the various parts are still lying around.

Comment

I'm not concerned with any of the brake stuff as it will be on the trailer. The brake drum would be required for the sole pupose of mounting the wheel. I do know that the inner and outer wheel bearings are the same for both the Festiva and Aspire but the spacing could be different.

Ian
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

no the differance in the spindle is in the mounting holes to the axle, other than that it's the same and you will be able to use your aspire drums on a festy axle. but if you're doing that, i would also cut off the drum portion so that you have a hub face and then can also remove the backing plate and harware.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. So what I'm going to do is replace the drums when I put the Aspire axle on my Festiva and save the old ones for the trailer project.

Ian
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Working...
          X