Installed Camber Plates!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed Camber Plates!!!

Well its been a long day in the garage but in the end CAMBER PLATES INSTALLED.

First off I will say this was not easy by any standards. A lot of cutting, grinding
    and drilling was done but overall it wasn't too bad and well worth it.

I got these plates on EBAY for $90 + shipping so i figured it was a calculated
    gamble on whether or not they would work. They are for a 84-87 AE86 Corolla.
    A couple of venders have these for various models and with a bit of work most
    of those would probably work as well. Only big disadvantage is that they raise the
    ride height about 1". I have coil-overs so I just dropped them down a bit more to
    compensate.

Once again this is not easy or bolt-in but well worth the effort.

- Chris
    Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
    - Dennis Grant
    FarNorthRacing.com

very nice job man!
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

They are maxed out! How much negative camber are you running?
      Oscar

Comment

Don't have a gauge so I couldn't say but it's not as much as I would like just eying the
        wheel, and not as much as you would think. I might actually mod the mounts a bit more
        so the max is at the edge of the hole in the strut tower. I'm shooting for -3 so if its not
        there yet I put the camber bolts back in to make up the difference. What is really nice is
        having the spherical bearing/pillow ball mount to reduce all the compliance from the stock
        rubber mount.
        Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
        - Dennis Grant
        FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

I would suggest an alignment. Because of having to drill that offset hole for the camber plate mount, I think you may have different angles on each side. The nice thing about them is that they are adjustable
          -3 is a lot of camber for a street car. Is yours a dedicated track car?
          I have fixed camber plates in my Mini (-1.35) and they made a very noticeable difference on the handling.
          Anyway, thanks for sharing! How does it drive now?
          Oscar

Comment

Haven't driven it yet because of the need for an alignment (and brake bleeding from the
            last time I was at the track). I use longacre racing tow plates and will be running 3/8 in
            total Toe out. I did a lot of careful measuring while getting the plates cinched down so
            they should be pretty darn close to equal. Yes -3 is quite a bit but with a lowered
            MacPherson suspension you need as much as you can get since the more you compress
            the strut the more positive gain you get. And yes this is pretty much a dedicated track
            car. The only street use it sees is to and from the track.
            - Dennis Grant
            FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

hmmm i'm at -2.4* in the front with the FMS springs and no camber bolts with the Capri swap in Scrappy. maybe a capri swap is something you should look into with camber bolts and you should be able to get -3.5-4* per side and better brakes to boot.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Good stuff. I want a set of those. Nice car you've got there too.

Do you figure the set you bought (84-87 AE86 Corolla) was easier to fit than the others would be? If someone was to buy a set, would you suggest going the same route?

Comment

Here's a link to the ones I would recommend. They have a bunch of universal sets
                  but they don't come with the bushing shown in the picture (very important)

This is a link to the ones I bought. I chose this kit because the bushings are a lot taller.

- Dennis Grant
                  FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

Better yet I think these would work even better with easy trimming to fit.

- Dennis Grant
                    FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

Looks like it. Thanks for the links!

Comment

You need to straighten out those plates, your changing Caster and camber when you adjust them!

Comment

Yeah, they look like the adjustment direction is not perpendicular to the stock mounting holes. That may even affect the toe.
                          Oscar

Comment

They both do lean slightly back towards the center of the car. This was done intentionally as to give addition caster which help a MacPherson Strut gain negative camber upon compression. I knew
                            I'd pretty much be running them maxed anyway so I set them up to give a bit more caster. Toe is
                            affected anytime an adjustment is made either way because you are moving the strut body in or
                            out. The strut is attached to the Hub which in turn is connected to the tie rod so any adjustment
                            Caster change aside will affect Toe.
                            Last edited by floydiancomplex; 03-20-2011, 07:06 PM.
                            - Dennis Grant
                            FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

Originally posted by perucho View Post
                              They are maxed out! How much negative camber are you running?
                              they arent maxed out yet. close though

Comment

Working...
                              X