Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Victoracer photo op and 205/55-14 fit session...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victoracer photo op and 205/55-14 fit session...

My first set of Miata rims were '99+ (14 X 6", 12.7 pounds, 45 offset), bought from a Miata guy a couple years ago. They've been sitting around waiting for a chance to be test fitted to a car. Today was their chance.

I needed to rotate my front and rear wheels to put the tires with the better tread siping in front. This was my chance. The Miata rims came with some well worn 205/55-14 Kumho Victoracers, an autocross tire. I doubted that they'd work on Aqua, or any Festiva that was not set up for such a large tire, but I wanted to see how close they were. If they did fit, that would provide some info for those who are asking some specific fit questions.

First, the good news. They fit! At least under static conditions and slower speeds. I turned the front wheels lock to lock and maybe went over some smaller bumps. Nothing seemed to rub. Here are two views of the rear strut clearance:

I'm running Aspire spec Monroe SensaTracs on the back. Those with Festiva spec struts will probably have rubbing with these wheels and tires, since the spring perch would be lower by around 1/2" or so.

Here are the pics from the "photo shoot" at the big lots nearby. Enjoy!:

The bad news is that I only inflated the Victoracers to around 28 to 30 psi. When driving, they felt like crap! A lot like my car needed an alignment--really mushy and unsure. It wasn't until I had gotten back and had begun taking them off that I realized I should have put at least 35 to 40 psi in them! They're for RACING and the sidewall limit is 44 psi. No wonder they felt awful. Oh well. I doubt I'll test them out again, but who knows?

For those who may need to know, here's the specs all around:

Aqua's suspension is from an Aspire, with cut Aspire springs (cut one coil) front and back. Front struts are from a 2002 Kia Rio while the rear struts are new Aspire spec Monroe SensaTracs.

No mods to the fender wells.

Miata wheels are 14 X 6" with 45mm positive offset. Tires are 205/55-14s, which appear to be about the same diameter as my 175/70-13s.

I think that's all. If I had inflated them higher, they probably would have felt surer and I would've done some sharper, faster turns and stuff.

Any questions, ask!

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 03-27-2011, 05:12 PM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Want!

I think if I get a chance I wanna try for a 205-225 wide, either 14 or 15 inch wheel for the summer.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

That's probably do-able. My car is at about stock or slightly higher ride height. I do plan on cutting another 1/4 coil to lower the front end slightly, but the rear will remain at that height or a bit higher for hauling loads and pulling heavy stuff.

Those '99+ Miata wheels sure do look nice. I see them for sale on CL more often than I do the hollow seven spokes. I paid $125 for these IIRC, which is the most I've paid for Miata rims so far. I gave $80 for my Daisies and only $60 for my solid seven spokes! So I think I paid too much for these. However, it was nice to get the opportunity to fit a very expensive specialty tire which I would never buy new!

Karl

Comment

i'm getting the sneeking suspition that the aspire rear beam pushes the drums out further from the trailing arm allowing for more offset without rubbing. i know that i can't run a 14x6 with anything more than 38mm or the rim itself will surely touch the trailing arm.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Looks like a good size. Very nice. 205/55R14s are about a 1/4" larger in diameter than 175/70R13s.

btw I'm looking forward to seeing the front spring cut a bit more.

Comment

Arty, although Miata.net's wheel guide says the '99+ five spokes are +45mm offset, I did see in one other place (can't recall where) that referred to them as +40mm offset. I looked all over the wheel and the offset isn't on there like my VW alloys have. So there may be a question of offset for these particular wheels.

Also, I do believe the Aspire rear axle measured from drum face to drum face should be a bit more, since I once made an extension for my brake cable. It would be on the order of around 1/4" or so at the ebrake actuators. I haven't compared drum depth, but I bet there is a little difference there, too. I'd guess a total increase of maybe 5mm per side to clear the trailing arm. I haven't measured it though. Maybe I should.

Thered56, these tires were very well worn, so they definitely looked the same diameter as my nearly new 175/70s. Also, although part of the problem was I didn't inflate them enough, I also think my suspension was not up to the task of putting such a heavy tire back on the ground after going over bumps. I hit a couple going through one intersection that spun my tires even though I wasn't gunning it that much. Must be bouncing up and not being put back down by the cut Aspire springs. On the other hand, on a flat, smooth autocross course, it wouldn't matter too much, and you'd be running a lot stiffer springs. Probably on the order of 300 plus pounds in front.

As for these wheels, I'm thinking of putting some 185/55 Marangonis on them. The width is perfect, and that way I save my lighter seven spokes for a possible set of 195/45 Proxes some day. I may also think of some Federal 165/60s for my Daisies, since the thinner tire will fit the 5.5" rim better and would be good and light for road trips. Undoubtedly better than these relatively heavy 175/70s on 15 pound VW rims I'm running now.

On the other hand, my current VW rims with junkyard tires are perfect "beater wheels." Great for when I decide to take a load to the scrap yard! Not a big problem getting a nail in a $14 tire I can replace quickly and cheaply. Not to mention having the "spirit of '80s hatchbacks."

When next winter comes, I think I'll put my Nokian 175/70 "Ws" on the VW alloys. I ruined one with a nail too close to the sidewall, so I only have three, but they're nearly new looking. Can't get another one, so I'll buy two dedicated snows for the front for winter, leaving one Nokian "severe weather all season" for a spare. Should be a good way to handle snow! Those Nokians were awesome on Lux.

Karl
            Last edited by Safety Guy; 03-28-2011, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X