Sway bar to body bushing bracket fabrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway bar to body bushing bracket fabrication

About a week ago I bought some Energy Suspension sway bar bushings, part number 9.5158 I think. Anyway, they are the 7/8" ones. I remembered reading on here that you have the cut down the bushings so they fit in the festivas notched front frame. I am wondering if I can use the brackets that come with the ES bushings by making a plate that goes flat between the bushing bracket and the frame so there isn't that recess there for the bushing to slide up into. I have some 1/8" stainless steel that I cut a couple of plates out of today at work. Seems like it should work except I'm wondering if the slots in the ES brackets will let the whole assembly slide forward and backward along the frame. I know our sway bars are actually a lateral load bearing part of the suspension unlike many other vehicles which use them only for cornering stability. I searched before and found a thread about how someone made brackets but I can't find it now using the search . Anyway, I think I will try these out before I start cutting up my new bushings unless someone says for sure why they can't work. The car is a stock auto so I don't anticipate it undergoing any hard launches anytime soon Lol

Here's what I made today, yes I know they're ugly, I'll clean them up and paint them if they turn out to work ok

In the middle is the bracket that came with the ES bushings

I will probably stack two or three large washers or something in behind these into the divot in the frame rail just to make sure theres no way this thing will move up or down behind the bracket.
    Last edited by htchbck; 04-05-2011, 11:26 AM.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Use the festiva plates. They are an integral part of the suspension. The es brackets are too weak. There is already a post about this very same topic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Comment

The issue with these brackets is that they can slide forward and back under load because of the elongated holes. If the bracket moves, the swaybar moves which in turn moves the lower control arms, which throws off your front end alignment.
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

The issue with these brackets is that they can slide forward and back under load because of the elongated holes. If the bracket moves, the swaybar moves which in turn moves the lower control arms, which throws off your front end alignment.
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
          ... I'm wondering if the slots in the ES brackets will let the whole assembly slide forward and backward along the frame. ...
          you nailed it... after having mine installed for a while (no backing plates necessary, btw) I noticed that one was offset a bit different than the other, and I could see where they had been sliding around.

There are a few options... I think the two easiest would be: weld a washer to the bracket in the right spot to hold the bar centered, or cut the edges off of the poly bushing. Honestly I think I'd rather modify the bushing, and then drill and tap the stock bracket for a grease zerk (not necessary, of course, but I like the idea).
          ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
          91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
          1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
          2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Thanks, I'll try modding the bushings then. I wish I could find that thread again, it had all the pics of what had to be removed and comparisons between the modded one and an unmodded. Oh well, I'm not savvy enough for that I suppose I'll get my old roommate the internet guru to search it for me lol Thanks guys!
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Here you go.

Discuss improvements to your Festiva or Aspire in the handling, braking, wheels and tires areas.

This is what I did. Took two test fittings, but I got them to fit perfectly.
              Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
              '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
              '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

You da man JPT! Now why can't I find that thread now when I search for it? Thats the one I was looking for though Thanks! I'll chop them up tomorrow
                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Ok, brought the bushings to work this morning... spent about 5 mins each on my big bench grinder. Ya I know the other thread said don't do it but they barely even heated up... I wore safety glasses too Anyway, does this look about right?

I'm hoping that they won't slip side to side with little lip on each side shaved off (because they aren't as wide as the factory ones). But I haven't heard anyone complain about that being an issue in the other thread, so I'll give it a try. It should be pinched well enough in the body notch that it won't go anywhere I guess. So how did I do?
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

That looks fine. They'll get clamped nice and tight. Don't worry about it.
                    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Alright! Got about 15 mins till lunch break and I'll try them out Glad I was able to pull a spare bracket off the other car to aid in the creation of the bushings so I could still drive the red one today I'll post some pics once they're on
                      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Installed:

I greased them up before install until I get a change to install some zerks in the other set of brackets and put them on. The grease came out the sides a bit when I tightened everything down so I'm taking that as a sign that they are snug enough. The difference in handling is amazing! I may not even have to roll my fenders, the tires don't seem to hit anymore, I guess they were before because the wheels weren't centered in the wheel wells. Oh, and here's the old bushings. They look like they'd work ok on an Aspire beam swap, they've opened up to about 1" lol lol

No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I will have to try this on my car.
                          I was looking for sway bar bushings and could only find the one at the control arm.

Do you have a part number for the mounting bushings?

Also, what kind of grease did you use?
                          ~Austin
                          Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

9.5158 from my first post
                            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I thought I saw a part number on one of the threads, but I totally missed that one!
                              D'oh.
                              ~Austin
                              Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Working...
                              X