No announcement yet.

sooo....who wanted to see how the rear disc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting. Looks like a fair chunk of metal back there. It's too bad you can't yet give us a comparison of how it feels compared to a stock Festi or an Aspire swapped Festi. Thanks for the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by thered56 View Post
      Interesting. Looks like a fair chunk of metal back there. It's too bad you can't yet give us a comparison of how it feels compared to a stock Festi or an Aspire swapped Festi. Thanks for the pictures.
      well I hope to have the motor swapped pretty quick....then I will work on the rear set up. Still would like that done pretty quick too.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Doesn't look too difficult at all, does it? Looks like the subframe for the IRS setup is bolted/welded to the Festiva frame "rails" and the stabilizer bar is attached somewhere. Then the only other attachments would be the Festiva top shock mount holes, already in place.

What rear strut or shock is used with this setup? Looks like stock XR2 rear struts?

Karl
        Last edited by Safety Guy; 04-23-2011, 08:34 AM.
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Ah, found a schematic (PDF) to make things a little clearer:

This is from a Capri shop manual and has multiple pages. Essentially, everything you need to know about Capri rear suspension.

A pair of skinny trailing arms are involved in rear wheel location, too.

Karl
          Last edited by Safety Guy; 04-23-2011, 08:57 AM.

Comment

This looks easy! Geneva, is it all stock parts?
            Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
            '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
            '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
              Doesn't look too difficult at all, does it? Looks like the subframe for the IRS setup is bolted/welded to the Festiva frame "rails" and the stabilizer bar is attached somewhere. Then the only other attachments would be the Festiva top shock mount holes, already in place.

What rear strut or shock is used with this setup? Looks like stock XR2 rear struts?

Karl
              yup...stock xr2

Originally posted by JPT View Post
              This looks easy! Geneva, is it all stock parts?
              all stock....just looks like he encased the rear frame rail in steel and then bolt the beam to it....perfect width.
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Is their still room for the stock fuel tank? Cant see the one on the car must be out of it.

Comment

^ ...and exhaust clearance? How is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                    Ah, found a schematic (PDF) to make things a little clearer:

http://www.techcapri.com/PDF/Repair/...ear_S04-02.pdf
                    You the man Karl. What a great find!

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                    well I hope to have the motor swapped pretty quick....then I will work on the rear set up. Still would like that done pretty quick too.
                    Looking forward to this!
                    Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                    perfect width.

Man, I really think this has got to be in the plans for Raltiva, that'll really help out on the gravel a lot. This is one of my favourite threads for sure!

As for the gas tank and exhaust, I see the gas tank, and I can't see any clearance issues with the exhaust.

Comment

The beam runs in the same spot as the Festy beam....so there would be no issue with the gas tank (which is missing because he had a fuel cell in the car). As far as the exhaust there would be no issue because the beam does not move like the Festy so you would just feed it between the body and the beam.
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Willie....its not a beam
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost
                        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

It looks like the control arms bolt to the stock rear beam mounts. Is this true?

There's this Capri sitting in my favorite junkyard. Been there for years. Never paid it much attention because it's an auto (and has 160K on it) but it might be missing it's whole suspension soon. :smile:

Comment

Did he reweld the place where the struts bolt on to accommodate the 2-bolt style rear struts of the Capri or did he just remove the strut hats and run it like the Festiva?
                            Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
                            1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
                            2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
                            2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                              Willie....its not a beam
                              you can call it what you want...I will continue to call it a beam.... by the way...I thought you WERE a member here....hehehehe

Originally posted by JPT View Post
                              It looks like the control arms bolt to the stock rear beam mounts. Is this true?
                              It is just the way the xr2 BEAM is I believe....they are there for alignment I figure.

Originally posted by chrisofna View Post
                              Did he reweld the place where the struts bolt on to accommodate the 2-bolt style rear struts of the Capri or did he just remove the strut hats and run it like the Festiva?
                              Have not looked into that part yet...will figure that out once I get it home or wherever I am going to tear it apart.
                              89L Silver EFI auto
                              91GL Green Auto DD
                              I will sleep when I die!

Comment

When you "tear it apart," more pics would be nice.

Karl

Comment

Working...
                                X