Torsion beam bushing measurements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torsion beam bushing measurements

Is there somebody here who has a spare torsion beam-to-body bushing lying around to give me the measurements? I'm planning on buying some polyurethane rod to build my own, and I need the dimensions to give to the machinist. Also, anybody have experience with the feel of poly suspension bushings? The most suitable rod I found is a 95A durometer which, if I understood correctly, is pretty much race stuff...So it makes me wonder: if I'm gonna have rock-hard urethane bushings, would I be better using Delrin, which is cheaper, instead?
    The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

for ride quality and longevity, i'd go with the delrin. if you go poly, you'll have to keep it lubed and replace it in a few years as it will crack/fall apart...
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Can someone give me at least the diameter of the part of the bushing that goes into the axle please? I may have found an alternative!
      The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...alkaround.html

The rear suspension on the new Fiesta is similar to the Festiva. It looks like it uses the same style bushing where the rear beam bolts to the car. I'm sure somebody (energy syspension or superpro) is going to make poly bushings for the Fiesta.

Comment

Wow, nice link! That does look pretty much alike...Actually, I was already looking at Energy's offerings, particularly MK1 Rabbit bushings, which uses the same kind of suspension. I'm just waiting on a couple of infos from them before I order.

Comment

Let me know if you find something that fits, I'm doing the aspire swap soon and would like to put stiffer bushings in.

Comment

Sure thing. The only thing I'm missing is the Aspire bushing's outside diameter; but from the torsion beam control arm's dimensions, I'm pretty sure it's about 2", and I'm waiting an answer from Energy to know the Rabbit bushing diameter. If it's bigger, it should be ok; from what I read, the durometer rating for automotive poly bushings is hard enough so it could be turned down on a lathe.

Comment

Check this link, there's a member with a set of bushings.

Comment

These ?

sigpic
                  The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                  https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                  Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Yeah, that's exactly the bushings I need!!! I may have found something really close to stock dimensions from Poly Performance; can you confirm that the stock bushing's barrel diameter is 1,75", and that the barrel lenght is also 1,75" (by barrel, I mean the part of the bushing that's gonna go into the control arm) ?

Comment

Here are the measurements I come up with.

The metal insert inside the rubber measures two and a half inches across.

The " barrel " part inside the beam measures one and five eights inches.

The diameter is five and three quarters inches around.

The measurement across the center of the hole where the bushing goes measures one and three quarter inches

Hope that helps.
                      sigpic

Comment

Fresh wrote:

"The diameter is five and three quarters inches around."

Not to be too mathematically correct, but that would be the "circumference."

Karl
                        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                          Fresh wrote:

"The diameter is five and three quarters inches around."

Not to be too mathematically correct, but that would be the "circumference."

Karl
                          Ok I'll go along with that.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ok time for some updates! For those interested, I finally found some bushings that were pretty much the same dimensions as the stock ones. I'll just have to shorten the barrel part a little. Part number is PPM-4301-200 from Poly Performance (www.polyperformance.com) in their universal bushing halves range. For the center sleeve, they can be had for cheap at any good machine shop. Only thing is I don't know the durometer rating for those bushings, but being polyurethane, they should be stiffer than stock for sure. My parts are ordered, and I'll do some test fitting and post pics as soon as I get them. Stay tuned!!! BTW, big-up to Fresh for those pics and measurements; they really helped!!!

Comment

any update on the poly bushings? I'm thinking about ordering some for my upcoming aspire swap. I'm planning on machining my own sleeves for the center

Comment

Working...
                              X