Difference between Aspire & Festiva rear springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Aspire & Festiva rear springs

How much shorter are the Aspire rear springs than the Festivas? I'm assuming they're shorter because the spring perch is higher on the shock.

Thanks
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

My observations are that both are the same length and both measured out to within one pound of each other in stiffness.

-'89L Festiva with about 120K miles
    -'96 Aspire with around 65K miles

I figure that one pound was probably due to fatigue from being in my older, higher mileage Festiva compared with the newer Aspire parts.

I'd say there is no appreciable difference. Use the "freshest" springs you can get for either one. Best thing to do would be to measure them.

FYI, I think Roger has some heavy duty (not "sport") spring sets available for the Festiva. They are a little more expensive though. I don't know if he'd just sell the rears.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I hope you are right. I just put the R Aspires in my 89 this weekend. They looked exactly the same, free length and number of coils. I didn't bother to measure them figuring you had already taken care of the scientific stuff.

I think I am going to wimp out and just use the Festy fronts and not cut the Aspires.

89 L

Comment

Working...
      X