Spring rate questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring rate questions

I'm preparing to do an aspire swap. I already have the front sway bar on. I got a set of springs from the aspire but they are a little rusty. I can clean them up and repaint them but I'm concerned that the spring rate may still be too low for my liking. I'm planning on running rio front struts and my roe aspire rear struts. I need my ride height to remain unchanged so lowering springs are out of the question.

My idea is to run a set of 2010 wrx rear springs as my fronts, they are about 190lb/in. My plN for the rear is to cut either the aspire or feisty front springs and run them as rears. The coil diameter are close enough that a little massaging of the perch will keep the springs seated properly.
    Here is a picture of a wrx spring next to one front and one rear aspire spring.

I'm thinking that even with the heavier rate of the WRX springs you will still be lower just because of the diff in length when you take into account spring rate. Not sure of the exact rate of the Aspire spring but I would bet that it would take a lot more than 190lbs to come close to where the WRX spring would come in. Therefore my guess is your car will be lower with those fronts.
    -Bryant

Comment

Yeah, I think I need to measure the spring height with an assembled strut. The wrx springs are significantly stiffer than the aspire fronts, and then there is loaded suspension sag to take into account. It may be feasable but I need to do a little more research.

Does anyone know what the stock aspire rates are?

Comment

Check out Rio front springs?
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I am going to see if I can find some rio springs. I was hoping to just buy new front struts though, there are no rios in the junkyard near here. Maybe I can run the stock feisty fronts as a rear then

Comment

I would recommend not running stockers in the rear if the front is stiffened. I am. Its bad.
            91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

If you want your car to do this then yes, go ahead and put stock springs in the back:p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=offjdVUkm5s

Stiff springs in the back help tremendously with traction. I could spin 1st and 2nd before and now I can barely chirp the tires. My 60ft also went down about .3 seconds and 1/4 mile time went down 1 second.
              Last edited by Grey Vw; 06-06-2011, 08:22 PM.
              91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
              14 C7 Z51

Comment

i think he is talking about using stock "front" aspire springs in the rear. i thought about doing this too i think the front aspire spring rate is 110 lb/in
                -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

They're still way soft.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

I'm not looking for super stiff. This is a daily driver with a gutted interior, not even a radio. Mainly I just want to go stiff enough to not bottom out the suspension so much, without overwhelming the struts to the point that they blow out or function improperly.

I'm leaning towards rio front springs on the front struts. and possibly aspire or festy front springs cut and installed on the rear struts.

Comment

that'll get you closer, but i recomend going even stiffer than that in the rear. like say, stock DelSol springs. i have a set lying around and the rears are stiffer than the festy fronts and should fit with minimal mods to the spring itself (none to the strut).
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

that's good to know about the delsol springs. I should be able to locate those pretty easily

Comment

I have 15"s on my festy. Aspire brake swap. Aspire sway bar. Aspire struts all around. Aspire front springs on the front. Festiva front springs cut by 2 coils on the rear. When loaded on the highway with a good enough bump the rears will rub a little. That's rarely. The front's have rubbed a couple of times with some serious high speed bumps.
                          youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

What about cut front Aspire springs in the rear? I was thinking of doing that when I switch to Rio stuts with cut Rio springs in front.
                            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

^^ Good question I thought about that too based on a conversation with Paul in this thread

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36520
                              If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                              Zulu Ministries

Comment

Working...
                              X