new and need help with tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hrbballman View Post
    I need to get the dumb tow bar taken off but I don't have a rack.
    Can I have the tow bar when you take it off?
    Or depending on where you're located I can remove it for you.
    Should be mounted to anti-sway bar brakets and maybe transmission craddle and maybe behind the front bumper.
    Hard to tell from pics.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I'm in Indianapolis. The guy I bought it from wants it back if I ever take it off sorry. Any particular brand of 155's?
      Last edited by hrbballman; 06-09-2011, 05:24 PM.

Comment

If I were you I'd move up to 13" rims. I'd go to the pull a part there in Indy and find a nice set of rims with good tires on them (usually not to hard to find). I like the look of the geo 13" rims. Then you will have way more choices with tire brands for cheaper and easier to find. I think at Pull a part rims with tires are $15 a piece.

I'm actually heading to Indy this Saturday to meet up with Gauge_Half_Inch to get an alignment and install a shim and what not. I was thinking of hitting up a few junk yards as well. I think 91mcnasty may come as well. You are more than welcome to come then maybe we can find you some wheels!
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
        The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

I'll jump in and put in a plug for my favorite tires.
          165/70SR12 YOKOHOMA Y372 BW.

I bought a set of them for Junkyard Save in 2007 from Tirerack. At the beginning of May this year they had 75,984 miles on them and the tread still was probably good for another 10,000.

I bought a new set to replace them from tireteam.com in early May and paid $262.93 (total including shipping).

Comment

thanks. I don't think I want to do the new wheels just yet. I just got the car last week. I did some research and the 165/70SR12 YOKOHOMA Y372 BW are available for $70 and the National 155's are available for $49. Will the extra money spent be worth it or should I just get the 155's?

Comment

I did some research and the 165/70SR12 YOKOHOMA Y372 BW are available for $70 and the National 155's are available for $49. Will the extra money spent be worth it or should I just get the 155's?
              Depends, the Yoko's are good tires.
              Some 155's are just as good, some better, and some waaaaaaaay worst.
              Look at the tire specs such wear, temp, traction ratings of the tire you are considering.
              Stick with a major brand you recognize.
              Doesn't have to be Michelin, or Bridgestone, other make a good quality tire.
              Consider what kind of driving your going to be doing.
              Sometimes the more expensive tire is worth it other times it's not.
              Also consider, any tire is likely going to be better and safer than what you have on there now.

About that tow bar!
              I can remove it which means YOU wouldn't have removed it!
              Do you think he would sell it?
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Strongly recommend you upgrade to 13" Metro rims and tires, as a minimum. Same bolt pattern as Festivas. From '95 on the Metro went with 13" rims, and you might find them at a JY. I once got four of them with brand new tires mounted and balanced for $16/apiece!

Even better would be to upgrade to Aspire front knuckles and rear axle beam. Far better brakes, and the much more common 4x100 bolt pattern so you can use better rims and tires too. This is the most important Festy upgrade. Also grab an Aspire front swaybar while you're at it, and use Aspire rear struts with the Festy or Aspire rear springs.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

He's just becoming Festized, give him some time.
                  He can wear this new set of 12's out, while he thinking about the up-grade paths he might want take.
                  And still have 100's of thousands of miles left to run on the engine!
                  '92 Aqua parts Car
                  '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I've been driving Festiva's for 21 year and used to buy the least expensive and mid grade. In my experience, the Yokohama's beat all the others hands down. And in the end, they turned our to be the least expensive when you consider the double mounting and balancing costs. If you plan on driving your Festiva 40,000 miles or less during the next 5 or 6 years, save the extra $ and get the less expensive ones.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                      Strongly recommend you upgrade to 13" Metro rims and tires, as a minimum. Same bolt pattern as Festivas. From '95 on the Metro went with 13" rims, and you might find them at a JY. I once got four of them with brand new tires mounted and balanced for $16/apiece!

Even better would be to upgrade to Aspire front knuckles and rear axle beam. Far better brakes, and the much more common 4x100 bolt pattern so you can use better rims and tires too. This is the most important Festy upgrade. Also grab an Aspire front swaybar while you're at it, and use Aspire rear struts with the Festy or Aspire rear springs.
                      Overwhelmed by upgrades!!!! I don't think i'm ready for all of that just yet I hope to eventually get there though. I think i'm gonna go for yoko's for now. thanks y'all

Comment

It's only been three or so hours and now i'm really excited about my festiva! I hope to eventually fix it up all the way.
                        Last edited by hrbballman; 06-10-2011, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Overwhelmed by upgrades!!!! I don't think i'm ready for all of that just yet I hope to eventually get there though. I think i'm gonna go for yoko's for now. thanks y'all
                          No worries! Don't be to overwhelmed that's what we are here for! Hopefully we will meet up for the junkyarding thing then you'll really get overwhelmed :p
                          Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                          The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Lol. I tend to get a little carried away when I'm there, I guess im right at home. Lol.
                            Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                            93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                            91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                            93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                            15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                            88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Working...
                            X