hey grandpaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey grandpaw

Haha..sorry, new here and need some help so I figured a catchy title would get some attention to the matter..

I'm the proud owner of a 94 ford aspire! Recently I found someone selling a power steering rack which I think is off a festiva, because I don't think aspires ever came with stock power steering in the states.

I want to buy this rack and put it on my car, but I'm wondering if its just going to be a bolt on application or if ill have to modify anything like new mounts?

Anyone ever swapped festiva to aspire racks or vise versa? And is there anything important ill need to know?

Looks as simple as bolting up and running hydraulic lines to it, but I could be wrong? Will a festy power steering pump bolt onto my engine? Since there's no power steering rack for the aspire I can't really compare part numbers..
    Last edited by zoom zoom; 06-27-2011, 07:32 PM.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Brake lines on a power steering rack? Am I missing something?
    BTW- Welcome to the best forum community on the net!
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I dunno... figured hydraulic fluid is the same?

That's why I came here! I heard you guys were the best..
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Grasshopper... the wise man searches for answer before asking question...

You question has been addressed before.

Yes, the Aspire did come with power steering. Mostly 5-door, auto trans cars.

Yes, the Aspire and Festiva racks are interchangable.

Not really sure about your statement about the brake lines... they have no connection to, or interaction with the steering rack.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
          I dunno... figured hydraulic fluid is the same?

That's why I came here! I heard you guys were the best..
          Well, thanks!

No, the brake and steering systems are fully divorced. Brake fluid is glycol based (water soluble), and power steering fluid is petroleum based, most similar to trans fluid. Swapping to power steering will not require any change of the brake system.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

The festiva and aspire both came with power steering. The festiva is harder to find power steering on than the aspire i think. You don't use break lines to the power steering. You will need a power steering pump and lines off a aspire. Not sure on how easy it will be to find one but they did make it for the aspire and i have put a non power rack form a aspire on a festiva.

Comment

you may not realize it, but you will also need the power steering pump, reservior and pressure and return lines. There's also a pressure switch that ties into the PCM. When you turn the wheel, the pressure switch closes, telling the PCM to increase idle speed to compensate for the added engine load.
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Save the money/time for the power steering swap & do a motor swap!
                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I'm buying a beat 5dr auto aspire with PS.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Haha..10 posts in 10 minutes (ish) full of everything but actually turning a wrench! Lotsa info there..I modified the OP when I realised what I did >.< sry I'm not used to all the "extras" on cars. Tbh I've never changed a power steering pump.. aside from unbolting and pushing out of the way.

So I'm also gonna need the pump, will it bolt up to my 1.3L?
                    The lines comming off the pump shouldn't be too hard to figure out..
                    Is there already a socket on the pcm or would I have to get one from an auto spire with it?

This will probably reduce my gas mileage too huh? Which is a major issue I hadn't considered, I like 40 mpg.

@blkfordsedan, you'll probably never talk me into an engine swap, I use this as a DD and it just rolled over 250k the other day, at best I might do a ring job next year.. even if she can't pull a hill @ 55 mph, or keep up with a station wagon (probably could) the money I save on gas makes all the difference!

@ bhazard, if your parting out pieces of that I might be interested in the power steering components.
                    Last edited by zoom zoom; 06-27-2011, 08:06 PM.
                    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Why even have power steering? I have oversize tires on my Festiva and Aspire and don't feel the need for it on either.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Its not a necessity, but neither is swapping the front and rear struts (if the rears fit) for 02 kia parts, but I'm doing that hopefully in the next 2 weeks, I've done a couple other minor mods just for convience too that weren't really needed, like the trunk popper tied into power door locks/keyless entry, and a button on the dash, and installed a new head unit/1k W amp/12" sub, and fixing the bumper that was about ready to fall apart..+ some other stuff.... I dunno, I just do stuff cause I like to mess with it. Id like to get a tilt wheel steering column and intermittent wiper switch put in too if I can find a column to bolt up.

Can anyone confirm the rear struts and shocks bolt up to an aspire? I was thinking about getting the fronts and chopping it down a coil or 2 before I put them in my car, I've got a oxy-propane torch to bend the top down right.
                        Last edited by zoom zoom; 06-27-2011, 09:01 PM.
                        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

My advice would be do the Rio struts, then decide if you still think you need power steering. I've never had the Rio struts, but a lot of people on here who's opinions I trust have done them and say they are amazing.
                          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Use '01 to 6/'02 Rio front struts and either cut your Aspire springs one coil, or the Rio springs maybe 1.5 to 2 coils. I have Rio struts on the front of AquaMutt with cut Aspire springs.

From 7/'02 till the 1st Gen Rios were replaced in '06, the strut mount became a three bolt unit. There may have been some spring and strut valving changes for the heavier models (1.6 engines) that followed.

I may be getting some '04 Rio Cinco front struts soon so I'll be better able to advise on any changes. To be safe, use the early struts with two bolt mounts that bolt right in a Festiva or
                            Aspire. This is an upgrade due to the actual "bearings" in the "strut bearing." (Festiva/Aspire struts have little plastic washers as "bearings." Yuck.)

Rio rears are totally different and you can't swap them without MAJOR redesign.

I have yet to confirm later Rio brake upgrade possibilities. The later ones got better front brakes to go with their 1.6s.

As for your power steering swap, I'd encourage you to keep what you have for simplicity and ease of maintenance, etc. I LOVE not dealing with PS fluid, etc!

Karl
                            Last edited by Safety Guy; 06-28-2011, 11:35 AM.
                            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                              Use '01 to 6/'02 Rio front struts and either cut your Aspire springs one coil, or the Rio springs maybe 1.5 to 2 coils. I have Rio struts on the front of AquaMutt with cut Aspire springs.

From 7/'02 till the 1st Gen Rios were replaced in '06, the strut mount became a three bolt unit. There may have been some spring and strut valving changes for the heavier models (1.6 engines) that followed.

I may be getting some '04 Rio Cinco front struts soon so I'll be better able to advise on any changes. To be safe, use the early struts with two bolt mounts that bolt right in a Festiva or
                              Aspire. This is an upgrade due to the actual "bearings" in the "strut bearing." (Festiva/Aspire struts have little plastic washers as "bearings." Yuck.)

Rio rears are totally different and you can't swap them without MAJOR redesign.

I have yet to confirm later Rio brake upgrade possibilities. The later ones got better front brakes to go with their 1.6s.

As for your power steering swap, I'd encourage you to keep what you have for simplicity and ease of maintenance, etc. I LOVE not dealing with PS fluid, etc!

Karl
                              good info man, thanks..

even tho i can't use the struts for the rears, could I get the springs and chop them down? my cars gettin a little old, and i'd like to go ahead and change out those springs with better/newer ones if i can.. i can't wait till it dries up around here, that field is a muddy mess.. been raining almost daily for the last 2-3 weeks, just when i thought the winter storms were gone they came back >.< i blame canada. after i get a couple 3 or 4 days of nice 90 degree weather i'm goin for those springs/struts
                              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Working...
                              X