No announcement yet.

Painting Estrellas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What differences if any did you note with the 01 kia rio struts Karl?
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Nitro, go here for my answer:

Members Builds (questions about repair or how to do something belong in the proper forum)

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Looks good so far.. id paint the middles the same color too.

I'm in the process of stripping the clearcoat off zx2 aluminum spiral rims and possibly going to paint them before I reclear coat em..

Whenever I tape something off that needs a fine line,I usually just tape the crap out of it making sure the tape is flat on the surface, 2 or 3 layers of tape is even better, sometimes it wants to bleed thru, then use a razorknife to cut the excess tape where I want the paint to be. Any scratches you put in it should be covered up and filled in with the new paint.. and it makes a nice smooth line.
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I go down to McParts & buy a roll of vinyl pinstripe. With that stuff you can stretch it and make extremely tight radius bends & curves. Then I go back with regular masking tape and overlap it onto the pinstripe. That way, you use the pinstripe edge to get a nice, smooth, wrinkle free paint edge. Plus, it sticks good and rarely gets overspray bleeding underneath it.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I might try that pinstripe idea. I saw it before on one of the painting videos. As it was, I did use 3/4" tape and then added the 2" tape over it when I did my wheels. It was still hard to work with!

BTW, I'm definitely going with all black centers.

Karl

Comment

Any update or pictures on how these wheels look?

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
              -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

Not yet. I sanded most of another wheel and ordered some more paint. For some reason Advance Auto Parts seems to have trouble keeping more than one (or none) black wheel paint can at a store! Makes it difficult since I'm using internet ordering.

I did use some "Restore Black" on a newer rear bumper for Aqua yesterday. More update all in good time. Maybe by next weekend.

Karl

Comment

Working...
                X