Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Began Suspension Swap and got another loose captive nut!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Began Suspension Swap and got another loose captive nut!

Broke loose the captive nut to the left side bottom axle bracket bolt that goes into the body underside. I pulled off the fuel filler inner access plate but the nut is inside a closed area.

I'm planning on drilling a hole there to see if I can access it. I'll have to disconnect and move aside several rubber fuel and fuel return hoses to get room to drill the hole. I'll clean any spilled gas and ventilate the area really well first, in case there is a spark.

If anyone has any better ideas, lemme know!

Shit happens.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

This morning my Dad and I got the left large axle bracket bolt out. I had to take out most of the fuel filler & vapor lines above the small hole in the body that led to the boxed in section of the lower frame "rail." I then enlarged this hole (not pretty at all!) and got a socket in to hold the nut.

After install, I'll have to clean up my jagged "metalwork" and reinstall the fuel & vapor lines. Lotta work just to take the damn axle off!

Now I have to fool with corroded brake lines. I may not be able to use my new rear brake hoses. Might have to install them later when and if I redo the hard brake lines.

But Lux's suspension swap is slowly coming along...

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
    X