Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Capri 14" wheel conversion

It's going to take me awhile to manage my pics....please stand by

The Capri alloys have the exact bolt circle and center hole as the stock Festiva. The only clearance issue is on the rear, the rims and tires rub the rear trailing arms, and the tires rub the spring perch on the rear struts.
    Last edited by BigElCat; 07-08-2011, 07:53 PM.
    '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Aspire Monroe rear shocks will solve the lower spring perch issue, unless you have ridiculously tall tires. Wheel spacers or narrower tires for the trailing arms. Is the rim rubbing, or just the tire? What is your tire size? What is the offset of your rims?
    Last edited by TominMO; 07-08-2011, 08:01 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

My solution to the rear clearance was Aspire struts (new units by Monroe), and 1/4" aluminum spacers over press-in wheel studs. I also used Aspire coil springs on back to increase hauling and improve handling. The springs did not contribute to fixing the clearance issue. The spacers and struts took care of this.

My tires are 175/65/14...they're cool Multi Mile Tour RS by Cooper. I gave the rim dimensions in a previous post...IIRC they have a 70mm offset, 5.5 inches wide. I'll varify this later.
      Last edited by BigElCat; 07-08-2011, 08:07 PM.
      '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

All righty then. I do like those wheels.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I decided to use press-in studs to help secure the slip on spacer.

Tomorrow, I'll wash the car and post a better overall picture. I added a factory spoiler to the hatch, too.
          Last edited by BigElCat; 07-08-2011, 08:16 PM.

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

^^ SWEET!!!! I've been waiting to see if anyone would do this. I have a set I took out of some Mustang axles and was thinking of trying to use them in the Festy hubs instead of the screw in kits :thumbright:
            If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
            Zulu Ministries

Comment

Festus Today

The press in studs were easy, I got them at Auto Zone...M12-1.50R...R means right hand threads...$1.19 each. I reamed the bolt holes with a (IIRC) 17/32" bit. Don't take the bit size as gospel truth...measure your stud knurles and go under size...I used a press to push them in.

The Aspire rear springs raised the rear about 1.5"....I can haul about 300lbs without sag....body roll was greatly reduced. I tried Aspire springs in the front, but they were way too tall....I'm looking for lowered Aspire front springs.
              Last edited by BigElCat; 07-09-2011, 09:29 AM.

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

^^ Cool, thanks for the size info :thumbright:

I like this style much better than the stud kits. It just seems safer to me because once they're in place with the wheels installed there's really nowhere they can go. I was planning on making the hole .003-.005 undersize for a nice press-fit
                If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                  What is the offset of your rims?
                  The rims have a 40mm offset...they are 170mm wide.

I have another thread from when I started putting them on. Catch ya'all later.

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Working...
                  X