X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire Swap master cylinder problem

89 L with carb and 4sp
    95 Aspire manual trans brake setup

I swapped in only the aspire rear 2 weeks ago. I bled the system and drove it around the block. Seemed to be fine.

This weekend I installed the front end parts. I had to pull the booster to replace the LF hardline. I pulled the M/C at that time. Sat. night I got the booster and M/C bolted back up and plumbed. The next morning there was brake fluid dripping off the bottom of the booster. I figured it was left over from taking it apart the day before.

I got everything buttoned up and started to bleed the rear. I was getting fluid out but not that much. I was starting to get more fluid coming out of the back of the M/C. Moved up to bleeding the front and it wasn't really putting out any fluid at this point. So anyway, I find it hard to believe the m/c went bad just by unbolted it. But maybe it did. I didn't bench bleed the M/C before putting it back on the car. Maybe I should have.

Should I just go to an Aspire M/C? I assume it will work well with the swap anyway. We are the ports on the Aspire M/C? Do the Festiva hardline bolt up or do I need to rebend them slightly?

89 L

If you go back and bench bleed the MC you should be fine. Did you completely empty it when you had it off the car? Is it still leaking? If there is fluid leaking out of it it will be bringing air back into the system wherever it is leaking from
    Paul
    91GL
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

While I was jerking around with the booster I left the M/C sitting on the shock tower. It was pretty much empty at this point. I just bolted it back up and starting pumping. It is leaking out the back where the rod from the booster pushes the cylinder.

My local parts stores don't even carry rebuild kits for these things. Hopefully bench bleeding will take care of it.

89 L

Comment

Well, I bench bled the MC last night. Nothing was leaking at the time. I even pulled out the rear C-clip to see if the piston would come out, it wouldn't. I kept bleeding it for at least 40-50 pumps. Everything seemed fine. Bolted it into the car, and bled the front brakes. The pedal was nice and firm and I had plenty of fluid at the calipers. Went in for dinner and left a rag under the MC. Came out this morning and its soaked and the level dropped in the resevoir. So the only I can do now is get a rebuilt MC I guess.

Should I go ahead and switch to an Aspire MC or just stick with a Festy? Who has done the swap and has exper. using first the Festy MC and then the Aspire MC? Is there that much of a difference to warrant upgrading?

I can't wait to drive this thing with an all new front susp and struts and springs etc. Sonofa!!

Thanks
        89 L

Comment

For the price of a new festiva m/c I would try the aspire.

I heard once that a m/c bore will corrode in area that it isn't used and once you go to bleed the brakes you use the full travel of the piston and then the seals scrape across this area and get damaged and leak.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
          BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
          BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
          New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Yeah that's what I am thinking. I think the aspire will only cost another $20 at the most.

So are you using the Aspire MC?

89 L

Comment

No I still have the festiva.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
              BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
              BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
              New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I went to the JY today and got a decent MC off of a 95 Asp for $10. Also grabbed the hardline incase the festiva one gives me any trouble. I pumped the fluid that it had left in it to test it and worked pretty good. Have my fingers crossed that this is the end of the swap. Won't be able to get to it until tomorrow though.

89 L

Comment

Just make sure you bench bleed it before installing it again.
                  Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

Working...
                  X