Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual pattern wheels, your favorites or wants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual pattern wheels, your favorites or wants?

I am thinking of looking out for some dual pattern wheels and tire combo trying to score on a budget on CL. Who has what, and who has links to nice affordable ones? Probably just 14" but i do see some 15" that look ok.
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Not cheap, but I've been drooling over these for a while now.
    1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
    Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
    daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
    A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

$77 for a new wheel is cheap.
      Oscar

Comment

Cant go wrong with that one. I was thinking more of the JDM look a la FOUR spoker. The real brands pop up from time to time and they cost as much as the car. I'll keep looking but its nice to put brains together for links i havent seen myself
        1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

I always preach discounttire.com. Free shipping, free mounting if you buy tires with them, and rebates and discounts seem to be running nearly all the time.
          I have these. They are the lightest wheel Drag makes. I switched from 14x5.5 to these 15x6.5, and still saved around 3lbs per corner. $100 per wheel before any discounts.

Also in silver.

Oh, they are Drag DR-9.
          Last edited by sketchman; 07-14-2011, 08:00 PM.
          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Light cheap wheels + pothole = driver wishing she/he would have saved for good wheels
            Oscar

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
              ...I switched from 14x5.5 to these 15x6.5, and still saved around 3lbs per corner. ...
              Really? How much do the new tires weigh? I'm not talking about you here but too many people just look at the weight of the wheels and forget that tires are heavier than the wheels for the most part.
              Oscar

Comment

Ronal Teddy Bears.. Some one find me two sets (8 rims ).

Comment

Originally posted by perucho View Post
                  Really? How much do the new tires weigh? I'm not talking about you here but too many people just look at the weight of the wheels and forget that tires are heavier than the wheels for the most part.
                  Yep. Weighed them when they came in, with tires already mounted, against my current wheel/tire combo. I kept the same tire width which I'm sure helped, since I actually have less tire now than before because of the section height. I wouldn't have believed it, but I can "feel" it too when I brake. So, same width, same overall diameter, and a lighter wheel.

I know of guys with factory alloys that blowouts claimed, so I'm not gonna worry about these. They're cheap to replace and the tire is free to replace since I paid the little extra for the insurance from DT.com. So in reality a blowout that totally destroys any one spinning assembly, only costs me $100 shipped.
                  Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                  91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Perucho's right, you need to account for the combined wheel/tire weight. I'm not sure if the aluminum or the rubber/steel belts weigh more. It might also depend on the width and aspect ratio.

I'm counting on my Falken 175/60-13s to weigh a bit less than my junkyard cheap 175/70-13s. Same width, but less rubber in the height. On the other hand, aren't H rated tires a bit heavier on average than S or T rated ones? I don't know.

My 13 X 5.5" Estrellas are 12.5 pounds each compared to my VW alloys at 15 each. So I'm probably going to save at least that much (2.5 pounds per corner).

One more thing to consider, especially going to larger wheel diameters and ever smaller aspect ratios for shorter sidewalls: your sidewall height can affect pothole damage to your wheel rims. Shorter sidewalls will probably not "cushion" the hit as well as taller ones. Higher tire pressures may help some, but not necessarily enough.

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Brayy View Post
                      Ronal Teddy Bears.. Some one find me two sets (8 rims ).
                      not gonna happen, i know ppl who hoard them and they're as rare as hen teeth.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I've seen 'twig and berries' wheels too. Not in person but in the back of a lowrider mag about 8 years ago.
                        1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

I don't think potholes will kill a festiva as bad as other cars, even on 50 series or lower. depends on individual hole) Remember the DOT weight for the tires we plan to run can easily be for vehicles much heavier, probably up to 400 pounds per corner more. I hate the steel plates worse than the holes.
                          1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Yeah i realised that their rare.. specially for down here in aus.. if i had the money i would be looking to pay a fair bit for them. They would just get people laughing at your car at the lights then they would be quick smart to be like :O

Comment

on my car

Edit: just seen it said dual pattern.. but whatever if i could have these wheels on my car i would! Im just sayin'... lol
                              Last edited by M3NTAL; 07-16-2011, 08:31 PM.
                              -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Working...
                              X