need help with aspire swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with aspire swap

I've decided to do the aspire suspension swap with my festiva and I need some help. i'm going to replace most of the suspension while i'm at it. I've heard that the kia rio strut mounts fit the festiva. Are the rio's strut mounts better than the festiva ones. also, I'm going to replace the springs but they dont seem to make them just for the festiva anymore. When I do the swap can i Just get the aspire springs and if I do get the aspire springs will I need to change anything out because they are bigger? if you have any other ideas or comments please post. Thank you.

I've done three swaps so far.

The last one was with Kia Rio front struts and mounts. You need to make sure you get the '01 to '02 Rio two bolt strut mounts and not the later (starting in 7/'02) three bolt mounts.

IMO, the Rio mounts ARE superior due to their "newerness" (at least four years newer than Aspire mounts), and they also have real strut bearings and not just flat plastic "washer bearings."

If you buy the Rio mounts new you might find them to be cheaper than new Festiva/Aspire mounts. I got my new ones for under $25 each and they came with bearings.

If you use junkyard Rio struts, check them for leakage and undue wear. Buying them new will cost you a bit more than Festiva or Aspire struts, but not too much more.

I'm using my current setup with Aspire cut springs, cut one coil. They are doing fine on my '91L 5 speed.

Check out my build thread for more info:

Members Builds (questions about repair or how to do something belong in the proper forum)

My suspension stuff is on pages two and three, but there may be more later on as well. There are some pics and links to other threads.

Keep in mind that there are some variables to consider, such as whether you have an ATX or MTX, A/C (weight differences), how old and worn the springs you are using are, and so forth. You just have to build it and see how it turns out after the alignment.

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 07-16-2011, 10:01 AM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

At the moment I'm still running Festiva springs and shocks with an Aspire undercarraige and 92 VW 13 inch rims. I'd be tempted to leave it that way except that I already purchased Monroe Aspire shocks and FMS Aspire sport springs and they are slated to go in sometime in the next month. I will post pictures when the time comes (plus advice) as I cannot predict how the whole business will turn out. The spring perch on Monroe Aspires is about 1/2 inch higher, which is very nice if you start playing with taller and wider tires.

Comment

do the kia rio rear struts and strut mounts work with the festiva as well? pertaining to the monroe shocks and springs is there a certain year aspire that you have to choose? thanks
        Last edited by hrbballman; 07-17-2011, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I'm told that auto Aspires have thicker rotors than manuals and certainly parts lists (ie FMS) confirm that. But all Aspires (94-97) have vented rotors of larger diameter, which beats the pants off dinky Festiva solids anyway.
          You don't have to be afraid of buying an ABS-equipped parts car either. I did and merely unbolted/unscrewed or otherwise got rid of that stuff. A now-superfluous ABS gear wheel built-in to the back of a brake drum doesn't make any difference.
          Grab the rear frame and the mounting brackets, entire front hubs (don't bother with the lower control arms though; because they're too long) the Aspire tie rods and the sway bar along with the sway bar cover plates/bushings. The Aspire sway bar brackets, which are a F&*^ing curse to get off, don't even fit on a Festy. My Festy e-brake was compatible with the Aspire brakes but I think some cars aren't. If you can get the Aspire e-brake out go for it.
          The wisdom of buying an complete Aspire is that you get an 'upgrade' B3 engine along with the suspension.

Comment

Rio rear end is completely different. No go.

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
            X