FMS vs. Apsire springs on a festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMS vs. Apsire springs on a festiva

I'll be doing my suspension and brake swap on my bpt car soon. I have a set of aspire springs at my disposal. My BP car has the FMS springs and I really like them.

Has anyone driven a festiva with FMS springs and also a festiva with aspire springs?

My aspire springs are paid for (free). Trying to decide if I should spend the money or not.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Go ahead and cut them, then you can tell us which car rides better. I believe you have FMS springs on the blue car right? Then we will have somebody that compared them and the world will know!
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

The other festiva my friend bought from Sandman849 had the aspire springs on it.

I went over to his house today after work and he gave me a ride. His springs have 5000 miles in them. Felt real nice and stiff. I'll try my springs on my setup and see if I like them.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
      BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
      BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
      New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I do know I liked the feel and ride of the cut Aspire springs. The only partially adverse thing I noticed was the tendency to hear some creaking when I turned sharply in reverse. The front springs seemed to move and creak in their spring seats, but I had no cushion up there.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I haven't ever ran with cut springs before. A few of my freinds have and its ok for lowering the car, but the car will eventually hit a bump that the spring can't extend far enough to follow the strut and allow the car to 'jump' off of the spring. This uncontrolled body movement is VERY dangerous. A set of proper lowering springs for the car will allow the car to settle a bit lower and also follow the full length of the strut to control the suspension and the body movement. Most lowering springs are just as quiet as the factory pieces. Besides, when you cut a spring, it doesn't fit the strut mount/spring cap properly and eventually breaks. I just wish we had more options for springs and ride heights.
          HENRY
          Fast, fun and good gas mileage. 91' Festiva(RIP) and 96' Aspire(RIP). The website is no more.

Comment

the aspire springs aren't cut to lower the car, they're cut to bring the car to stock hieght on a Festiva. The Aspire springs at stock length cause the Festiva front to sit too high. I'll let you know what I think about the Aspire springs maybe next week (still owe you $10, Matt!), Uncle Fester has been undergoing cancer surgery and a heart transplant these past few weeks. Should be done soon, if I can ever stop working nights and weekends..... :roll:
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Only to add to what Jim said. I cut one coil out. I didn't do before measurements though, but just eyeballing it, I'd say the car came out a little lower than stock. I reused the Aspire top coil cushion, I repositioned it so a not chewed-up piece of it was at the contact point of the top coil. I did not use a bottom cushion, there wasn't one on the stock setup that I got from the JY. Assuming they had never been serviced.

Side note. I installed the camber bolts at the max. neg camber position, and I would bet I have almost a degree of neg. camber if not a little more. I'll post some pics sometime next week hopefully.

My setup is a carbed 89 L, 4 sp, Aspire springs all around, cut in front, GR-2 KYB struts. Stock steelie aspire wheels with May-pop tires still on them.

89 L

Comment

I've had my car on both an Aspire setup - uncut, and the lowering springs. With the Aspire suspension it sat very high (that was the goal for the winter setup) and it was about as squishy as stock Festiva stuff (stock struts, btw). FMS springs are much firmer. Handles much better, but I kinda grunt when I lower my fat self into it.
                jeff

Comment

Working...
                X