Cv Joint Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cv Joint Question.

:dontknow: i have searched and found nothing but would the cv joints out of the aspire fit the festiva ? w/ or w/o the swap ? :dontknow:
    popping on corners..

First off since your from Oz, you know the Festiva and Aspire body styles and years were not the same as here in the US.
    Based on US body styles and years, the Aspire ('93-'97) axles will NOT fit the Festiva ('88 - '93) due to lenth (too long).
    Unless you do the Aspire swap and swap out the Lower Control Arms (LCA) from an aspire as well.
    Which is not usually done, but has been done to produce what is called a Festiva wide track.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Thats what i was thinking. Thanks for the info. . Ohwell Looks like i might just have to buy a parts car. :laughing6:

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
        Unless you do the Aspire swap and swap out the Lower Control Arms (LCA) from an aspire as well.
        Which is not usually done, but has been done to produce what is called a Festiva wide track.
        That sounds like some fun camber for the alignment guy to try to correct :-)
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
          That sounds like some fun camber for the alignment guy to try to correct :-)
          Yeah, good point, I know you can get 3° from turning the rubber hats at the top of the struts.
          But I don't think that would be enough.
          That said, I've read in here somewhere about a few who have tried this.
          IIRC, there was no mention if they had camber issues or if they endup using camber bolts to compensate.
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Brayy View Post
            Thats what i was thinking. Thanks for the info. . Ohwell Looks like i might just have to buy a parts car. :laughing6:
            Or just buy Festiva CV axles.....
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Wow so the festiva LCA's are not the same as the aspires? Even in the US? For some reason I was thinking all the suspension pieces were the same.. would a festiva sway bar work on an aspire?
              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
              1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
              1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
              1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
              1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
              1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
              1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Mum got quoted $800 to replace and I don't know if there inner or outer joints ? There 50 each on the ebay and a festy would cost me $200max and I need the doors. Even if its a yearly fix I'm happy.

Comment

If you swap the axel shafts out, the cv joint should work.
                  There's a snap ring holds them to the shaft. Use tough zippy ties in place of the boot bands.
                  (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                    would a festiva sway bar work on an aspire?
                    Probably, but why? Smaller diameter = worse handling.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

CV joint Shafts ? What are they ? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CV-JOINT-...#ht_3137wt_905

Comment

Brayy that eBay picture is of a complete assembly, they will disassemble farther.
                        You asked if an aspire would fit a festy, the answer is: No the complete assembly
                        is to long, but only because the axle shaft is to long. If the aspire joints are good, then swap out the main shaft and it will work.

Here's a link for more understanding, it's not for a festy but basically the same process.

(paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                          Yeah, good point, I know you can get 3° from turning the rubber hats at the top of the struts.
                          But I don't think that would be enough.
                          That said, I've read in here somewhere about a few who have tried this.
                          IIRC, there was no mention if they had camber issues or if they endup using camber bolts to compensate.
                          john, that's 0.3-0.4* not 3.0*. with the capri swap, i only gained ~ 2*.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                            john, that's 0.3-0.4* not 3.0*. with the capri swap, i only gained ~ 2*.
                            You might be right 3° is a bit much, have to check.
                            ° = ALT + 0176
                            I have to type it a lot in my work.
                            '92 Aqua parts Car
                            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Occhty View Post
                              Here's a link for more understanding, it's not for a festy but basically the same process.
                              http://flashoffroad.com/Maintenance/.../halfshaft.htm
                              Now understanding the way it works.. also could i use the suspension kit out of the 90-96 mazda 121 Bubble as it is practically the same as the aspire as to what i have read ?

Comment

Working...
                              X