Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire recommendation request

I'm in a bit of a dilema...

I was hoping the Falken 175-60-13's I currently have on the car would last this summer season, including our trip to FMV. I have a set of new-to-me mesh wheels with some older 175-70-13's on them two of which need replacing.

My dilema is this... do I run with the used, older, larger tires for the balance of the summer and the trip to FMV or do I bite the bullet and by new tires?

That brings up another question: do I go with the Federal 175-60-13 or the Sumitomo HTR200 185-60-13?

Thanks
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

or the sumi 205/60/13
    I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

^^ 205/60s are awesome on 13s
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Depends on what you want the tires for...traction, mpg, handling, looks? Wide tires look nice and handle better, but kill mpg. 185's are a decent balance, and I wouldn't put 205's on a rim less than 6".
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
          Depends on what you want the tires for...traction, mpg, handling, looks? Wide tires look nice and handle better, but kill mpg. 185's are a decent balance, and I wouldn't put 205's on a rim less than 6".
          +1 on wut he sed.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

For the best all around 13" tire, I'd go with one of the following, in this order for a long trip putting the tires on your new Intra wheels:

1. 165/65 should give good fuel economy and it's stock ride height
            2. 165/70 should be a bit cheaper than above, but be around 12mm taller than stock
            3. 175/60 good handling with stock ride height

Any of the above would be better than 175/70s. I wouldn't want 185/60s for a long trip, and 205/anything, no way!

I really think a good set of 165/65-13s on your 5" wide Intras would be the best choice for fuel economy and handling. The Bridgestones are kinda expensive, but there are a couple cheaper alternatives:

Reifen für PKWs und Transporter extrem günstig. Wir bieten Ihnen Autoreifen äußerst vorteilhaft! Klitzekleine Preise, versandkostenfreie Lieferung schon ab 2 Reifen, günstiger Montageservice für Reifen fast überall in der Schweiz, unkomplizierte Bestellung, flexible Zahlungsabwicklung, sehr große Auswahl

Maybe in Canada you can get more brands though, so shop around.

Karl
            Last edited by Safety Guy; 08-03-2011, 12:03 PM.
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I can attest to the quality of the Sumi HTR200. That's what are on my 323 wheels (size 175/50R13) and the handling & grip are excellent. They appear to be wearing very well. The ride is a little "sharp", but again they are a 50 series....and it's not much worse than the el-cheapo 155/80R13 stock tires. I don't know much about Federal tires, (I assume they are a cheaper Chinese import), but I think 175/60R13 is about the all-around perfect size.
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                205/anything, no way!
                Come down South where the big mountains grow and you might not disagree so much . I personally tend to go with the 175/70s, if for no other reason because they are cheap and very very easy to find. If 175/60s were just as available and comparably priced, I'd probably have those all-round. But they're not. But anything less that a 175 width and you sacrifice too much (safe) speed on these roads down here. If you live in a fairly straight flat area though, then I suppose it doesn't matter as much.
                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Htchbck, no disrespect, but have you Googled his location? His mountains make our mountains look like rolling hills.
                  In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                  There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

D1, no disrespect, but I've been to Columbus many times, and it is not at all mountainous there...

Edit: Just realized you were probably referencing Alberta, not OH. I was addressing Karl (who I quoted) with my statement, not Fastivaca (yes, they have real mountains). And what is this "our mountains" anyway? My mountains make ya'lls look like rolling hills
                    Last edited by htchbck; 08-03-2011, 02:29 PM.
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                      D1, no disrespect, but I've been to Columbus many times, and it is not at all mountainous there...
                      Oh. Well fine, be that way then! :sign6::toothy7:
                      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Didya catch the rest of my edit on my last post?
                        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Nope, didn't catch the edit. I've been to Columbus, OH often as well. Swift Terminal there. Good food by Fast Freddy.

Comment

Ian
                            I have a set of Champiro GT tires for sale.
                            size 165 65 13 almost new. PM me if interested
                            1992 black GL
                            1991 white GL
                            1991 blue L parts car
                            1992 blue L from Japan R.H.D.
                            1948 ford conv. hot rod

Comment

Narrowed the choices down

185-60-13 Sumitomo HTR200
                              185-60-13 Federal SS595
                              175-60-13 Federal SS657

Any opinions on these? Price is not an issue as each set is fairly close.
                              Ian
                              Calgary AB, Canada
                              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Working...
                              X