Wheel refinishing Q's...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel refinishing Q's...

So I picked up these Momo Quasar wheels a while back....

Didn't think I was gonna use them on the festy at first, but now I'm thinking I might give it a shot. I'd like to fix them up a bit but here's my problem.....They were originally chrome plated but at some point the chrome started to peel off so the guy I got them from just painted over it and it obviously looks like crud. Just wondering what the best method would be to clean up/remove the flaking chrome before I try painting them myself? Already went to town on one with a wire wheel but that didn't do much besides remove the paint. Is there anything I can do myself or is this a job for the pros? Also, if anyone knows where I can get 2 more centercaps for these let me know! I've seen them on ebay but they sell for like $60 a piece! That's almost what I have into all 4 wheels!
    Last edited by lanemeyer14; 08-30-2011, 05:18 PM.
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

You can't go cheap when you're talking about refinishing wheels like that. Your best bet is to have them sandblasted and reconditioned.
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Aircraft remover with work, make sure you wear thick gloves, don't inhale it, and do it in a WELL ventilated area.
      89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
      94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
      2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
      1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
        You can't go cheap when you're talking about refinishing wheels like that. Your best bet is to have them sandblasted and reconditioned.
        Don't sand blast them, bead blast, plastic based media, or a soft soda based media will work on them. IF you say sand blast some places are dumb enough to actually blast alloy wheels with silica based sand or aluminum oxide sand and it will kill your wheels.
        Last edited by Nerd Racing; 08-30-2011, 05:39 PM.
        94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
          Sandblasting aluminum wheels will pretty much ruin them I believe....?

Originally posted by Nerd Racing View Post
          Aircraft remover with work, make sure you wear thick gloves, don't inhale it, and do it in a WELL ventilated area.
          Oh yeah, before I tried the wire wheel I tried aircraft remover....also didn't do squat besides remove the paint
          "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Don't sand blast them, bead blast, plastic based media, or a soft soda based media will work on them. IF you say sand blast some places are dumb enough to actually blast alloy wheels with silica based sand or aluminum oxide sand and it will kill your wheels.
            Ya beat me to it....That's what I thought

Comment

This is what the wheel currently looks like...

If you look near the center of the wheel and near some of the nicks around the lip you can see the copper peeking out.....I'd love to expose all the copper but I think that has flaked off with the chrome in the bad spots. Man a set of copper wheels would be nice!

Comment

Really? I sandblasted sets of aluminum wheels that the clearcoat was peeling with silica sand. Blasted, repolished the smooth surfaces, painted the rough areas, and reclear coated. Not a problem. Of course I don't have any long term testing, only 5 years on a set for my snowplow vehicle....

As for the removal of the chrome, unless it's coming off in sheets that can actually be peeled off, it would be best to take them to a plater and have the process reversed down to the bare wheel. It probably won't be cheap tho.

Simply my 2¢.
                Last edited by lessersivad; 08-30-2011, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lessersivad View Post
                  As for the removal of the chrome, unless it's coming off in sheets that can actually be peeled off, it would be best to take them to a plater and have the process reversed down to the bare wheel. It probably won't be cheap tho.

Simply my 2¢.
                  Not really peeling off in sheets, just little bits and pieces here and there. I figured having a "pro" remove it wouldn't be very cheap, and while these are pretty rare wheels I don't really want to spend a whole lot of money on them....both times I've had my car(s) stolen it was solely for the rims, so I don't wanna draw a huge amount of attention to the festy with blinged out rare/expensively refinished momo wheels! As it is right now I've basically got $75 into them since I traded them for a set of $75 jy bmw wheels

Comment

That won't do anything to chrome (except maybe clean it lol).
                    Oscar

Comment

I thought he meant removing the paint... lol

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by perucho View Post
                        That won't do anything to chrome (except maybe clean it lol).
                        Haha, yeah pretty much

I thought he meant removing the paint... lol
                        Nah, just the flaking chrome I'm worried about. Don't want to paint over it just to have it keep flaking off

Comment

Muriatic acid and HCL will remove the chrome but probably won't do much for the nickel and copper under it. It may be detrimental to the Aluminum as well.

This would be a good one to ask Pu241 about.
                          If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                          Zulu Ministries

Comment

Have you thought about powder coating? I priced having mine done was between $150 - $200. But I believe the finished product would be very durable.

Comment

walnut shell blast.
                              Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Working...
                              X