12 inch tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 inch tires

Im sticking with my 12inchers so getting bigger wheels is not the answer..i found that we still have 3 companies that make 12inch tires. Nakang, Hercules and Yokohama. Which one is the better tire brand?..ive been using the power star 758 from kumho and they wear way to quickly. I barely made 25000 miles and most are already bald. Which one would you choose or if you have any reviews of each one please post.

Yokos are a good replacement but costly. really should consider 13s... much easier to get and cheaper as well. i'll be putting 185/60/13s on a car of mine soon.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Yeah yokohama's are the best, pretty expensive though.

EDIT: I dont understand why in US stock is 12 but in AU the stock steelies are 13 inch.
      93 Ford Festiva WA (project car)
      98 Ford Festiva WF (aspire)(parts car)
      98 "Gloria" Toyota Corolla AE101 (daily driver)

Comment

I'm a die hard for 12" tires as well. I just bought a set of 165 70 r12 Yokas from tire rack. They were delivered in two days. Will get the mounted this week. I will have $360 in them. I tried 13" alloys and went back to 12s
        '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
        '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
        '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
        '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
        '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
        '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
        '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

I am just curious what is your guys reasoning for staying with the 12's?

Comment

Originally posted by graywolf_14 View Post
            I am just curious what is your guys reasoning for staying with the 12's?
            cuz they're gangsta!!!
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

The car was designed with a 12" wheel in mind. 13's feel heavier, though they have quicker steering response, and depending on the tires you get, change the feel of the car entirely.
              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

yups same here i had 13inchers a few years back...i packed my friends in it and boy did it rubbed..not with me in it though..The brakes took longer to stop the car and yes the car felt as if it was pulling an anchor..I went back to the 12in wheels and now my mpg are up and car feels much fun to drive.oh the car is an auto which doesnt help with the bigger tires. Gas here in hawaii is about 4.05 cents which is pretty bad...and my car pings bad on those low octane fuels..

Comment

I run the Hercules on my automatic. The local tire barn keeps them stocked and they charge $50 mounted and balanced. Not the original size though, their 155's so thier a tad smaller. But not a horrible tire for 50 bucks, I get anywhere from 35/50 thousand miles on them, even though I tend to abuse em badly.
                  (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                    The car was designed with a 12" wheel in mind. 13's feel heavier, though they have quicker steering response, and depending on the tires you get, change the feel of the car entirely.
                    Zacly
                    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
                    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
                    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
                    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
                    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
                    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                    '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Originally posted by jtugfestiva View Post
                      oh the car is an auto which doesnt help with the bigger tires.
                      What size tires are you running? Don't say "13's"... that's just the rim size. There are 13" tires that are REALLY close to the 12" tire's rolling diameter. 155R12 and 165/70R12 are about 21.5" diameter, about 975 revs/mile and weigh about 12lbs each. 165/70R13 are about 14lbs each, 22-22.5" diameter, and about 950 revs/mile. So, careful tire size selection can lessen the impact of switching to 13" wheels, but I do agree that the autos need all the help they can get.
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

You can get a Bridgestone design tire in 165/65-13, which is real close to proper diameter:

21.4" diameter and 19 pounds.

Put those on a lightweight 13" wheel (say, an Estrella at 12.5 pounds each) and you're good to go.

Karl
                        Last edited by Safety Guy; 09-07-2011, 01:28 PM.
                        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

good lord, 19lbs!!?!
                          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Yeah, sounds kinda heavy. Maybe they used tungsten steel belts?

Click on "other sizes and pricing" and compare with all the larger tire weights. It's probably a typo, since 165/65-14s weigh 13 pounds and 175/65-14s weigh 15 pounds.

I bet the 165/65-13 weight is around 13 pounds.

Karl
                            Last edited by Safety Guy; 09-07-2011, 01:56 PM.
                            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Heavy, man..... Heavy.......
                              Have owned 9 so far
                              White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                              Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                              Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                              Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                              Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Working...
                              X