need studs? there's a solution:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need studs? there's a solution:

Linuxbox had found some sweet rims, but they required Mag style lugnuts to fit properly. no big deal, ordered the M12x1.5 screw in stud kit (long ones, 54mm IIRC simillilar to THIS but longer). studs were installed with RED loctite.

well after having the wheels off a few times, 2 of the left rear studs started to pull out (threads pulling out of the drum, not the studs). so we pulled the one bad stud that i could still spin out and then drilled the hole with a 29/64 drill bit (IIRC) so that the threads were no longer visible (just).

we then pressed in Dorman part # 98501.1 into the drilled hole. it's about 3mm shorter than the kit studs, but still clears the lugnut to keep the same look. these studs are designed for OPEN, EXTERNAL lugnuts (like this), NOT the nuts required for tunner lugs (like this) or capped nuts. make sence?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Maybe I a should of used red loctite, but I guess blue will work for now !
    -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

I had that happen (studs pulling out of the drum) on one drum. I always check the torque on the wheel studs after every race with a torque wrench so I know they weren't over tightened. The stud just started to pull out of the drum before the torque wrench "clicked" for correct torque. I suspect there is an inferior drum being sold that is too soft to hold the studs. It was a new drum, but I don't remember where I bought it because I had extra drums bought ahead.
      You gonna race that thing?
      http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Working...
      X