Torching my springs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torching my springs.

Thinking about torching my springs to lower my festy. I havent ever done this so could someone tell me where i should torch the front and rear springs on which coil?
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Biggest problem will be not destroying the struts from heat. Top or bottom ? I would torch the bottom , set blocks under the car to set an even height for when the suspension cools off.
    depending on how far you drop it u might need to cut the bump stops in half so u aren't destroying your back bouncing on them.
    Last edited by 1988festivazoom; 09-14-2011, 01:08 PM.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
    1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
    R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
    00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
    03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
    pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
    Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
    Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

cut the springs, heating them will cause the spring rate to DROP dramaticly and the ride quality will suffer and fruin your struts faster than just cutting a coil off.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Yea, cut them, the torch ruins the temper, a friends dad did it and within a week the springs had collapsed 6 inches putting his work van on the ground
        Owner of:
        1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
        In progress:
        BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Get a hacksaw and put the elbow grease in to make it safe.

Edit: Rent a spring compressor. Don't try to cut them on the struts.
          Last edited by anomoly40; 09-14-2011, 07:43 PM.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

The questions asked on here amaze me, but I guess it's a learning process for some people.

My policy do it once, do it right period.
            -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Originally posted by M3NTAL View Post
              The questions asked on here amaze me, but I guess it's a learning process for some people.

My policy do it once, do it right period.
              I am bearly learning to do this.
              91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
              14 C7 Z51

Comment

Grey VW, the only way I'd say to alter your springs is to cut them 1/4 coil higher from where you think you should, and heat the coil DIRECTLY at the point you were originally going to cut. Push the spring on the ground to bend the hot, cut section so the cut end rests against the rest of the coil to make a seat. Let the springs air cool. DO NOT put them in water to cool them.
                In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                  Grey VW, the only way I'd say to alter your springs is to cut them 1/4 coil higher from where you think you should, and heat the coil DIRECTLY at the point you were originally going to cut. Push the spring on the ground to bend the hot, cut section so the cut end rests against the rest of the coil to make a seat. Let the springs air cool. DO NOT put them in water to cool them.
                  Woah woah, I didn't mean torch my springs. I ment I am bearly learning to do things right the first time. I'm saving up for rokkor coilovers after getting ebay springs.
                  91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                  14 C7 Z51

Comment

Oh. Sorry.
                    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

The questions asked on here amaze me, but I guess it's a learning process for some people. My policy do it once, do it right period.
                      Well some of us are creative and enjoy learning the science of mechanics . There is really not much challenge in taking the finished product out of a box .
                      New build on the way .

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
                        Well some of us are creative and enjoy learning the science of mechanics . There is really not much challenge in taking the finished product out of a box .
                        Is mechanics a science? LOL Well, someone is going to learn the science of properties of materials the hard way The good thing is that these things are cheap. To the OP, just try to not hurt anyone else in the process.
                        Oscar

Comment

Hurt anyone else? who got hurt to start with? Why do people make it sound like torching or cutting the springs on a stock festiva is a complicated task? I simply asked the question because some say not to torch and some say not to cut. This isnt something I have ever done because I usually do it the right way with coil overs. I am broke and want my festiva lowered.
                          89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                          My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Torching springs means you are annealing the metal to weaken it so the car will not be supported as well. Weakening suspension components is not very safe. Don't believe me, go to walmart and try pushing a buggy with a screwed up wheel around. Its hard to control. Now imagine you're on the interstate and there are cars around. Then the spring gives out.

A hacksaw costs a few bucks, and you could probably rent a spring compressor from autozone and get your money back after returning it.

Don't kill someone else or their kids because you are cheap and lazy.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

Originally posted by anomoly40 View Post
                              A hacksaw costs a few bucks, and you could probably rent a spring compressor from autozone and get your money back after returning it.

Don't kill someone else or their kids because you are cheap and lazy.
                              Agreed, hey if you have an angle grinder that would cut your time down drastically
                              -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Working...
                              X