Scraping Noise On Left Turns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraping Noise On Left Turns

Wasn't entirely sure which section to put this in. So, feel free to move it if needed.

Wanted to get a little input on this before I go digging into things.

I have a 95 Aspire. All stock as far as i can tell. 5sp. 89k.

I hear a scraping sound that SOUNDS to me like it's coming from the right (passenger) side wheel area when making sharp LEFT turns.

I took a quick look see when I was under the car changing the tranny fluid. I don't see anywhere that it looks like something has been rubbing.

The car doesn't do it any other time.

I DO occasionally hear a slight knocking when I make sharp right turns. I figure a CV replacement is in my future.

The car also pulls quite a bit to the right under normal driving. And it does seem like it wants to... lunge (for lack of a better word) a bit to the right when I downshift. I figured to do the CV when it warms up and get an alignment done at that time.

Occasionally, when I drive the car for the first time in a day or so, it sounds like the brakes may be dragging a little right at the beginning, but usually goes away very quickly and doesn't do it again.

I know the dealer threw new pads on the front right before they listed the car for sale. I haven't had the wheels off to get a look at the calipers or anything. Wanted to get some input here first.

if the right caliper isn't fully retracting, could I get a scraping noise from it when making sharp left turns? Or is it something else entirely.

TIA

TJ

(PS, this will be cross posted on both the FA and FF forums)

Did that dealer just put new pads on the right caliper? That could account for some of this, I think.

The scraping is probably a plastic liner part out of place. It could knock some, too.

You just have to jack it up and take a look to see.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

first of all , this should be in Repair Help Forum, as you have an all stock vehicle.

and is this scraping noise a metallic metal to metal noise???

could be the rotor hitting the backing plate , due to wheel bearings going bad.

this also can screw with other things in your front end.

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy
        Did that dealer just put new pads on the right caliper? That could account for some of this, I think.

The scraping is probably a plastic liner part out of place. It could knock some, too.

You just have to jack it up and take a look to see.

Karl
        I was under the impression they put pads on both sides, though that was not specifically stated, so, can't say for sure.

I'll prolly yank the wheel off in a day or two and take a look, see if anything's going on with the caliper.

Comment

Originally posted by mechanicaldj
          first of all , this should be in Repair Help Forum, as you have an all stock vehicle.

and is this scraping noise a metallic metal to metal noise???

could be the rotor hitting the backing plate , due to wheel bearings going bad.

this also can screw with other things in your front end.
          Sorry I put it in the wrong forum section. As I said, I wasn't quite sure where to put it. Since I thought it may be a brake issue I put it here. Please feel free to move it.

Anyway, it sounds metal to metal to me. But, I'm hardly an expert.

Bearings crossed my mind, but I would have thought they would be making noise in more than just a left hand turn.

Front Aspire bearings need to be pressed in, right?

Seeing as how I don't have the equipment for something like that, what would be a better option if it turns out to be the problem. Taking it somewhere to get them done or just grabbing another complete hub somewhere?

Any idea what it should run to have the front bearings done?

Comment

Working...
          X