Need help mounting rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help mounting rims

I have a 90 Festiva. I mounted a rim without the tire, (14" PCW tri-star) to check for clearance. I noticed that the rim is 7" wide where as my stock rim and tire is 6". I have a clearance problem.The rim comes real close to the frame on the rear and I"m afraid that on the front it could rub on the brake line. Since I really not sure what to do I looking for help. I assume I need to add spacers which I think I also need longer lug studs. Whats the safest way to do this? Should I use longer lug studs or should I screw in longer studs into the drums and rotors and go with lug nuts? Also what thickness does the spacers come in, and How thick should I go? Can I get these parts at any parts store or are they going to be hard to find? How much longer Studs might I need, and what Size? Basically I'm asking how to do this and what to buy to do this correctly.

The instructions for the rims states spacers should not be used. My suspension is stock and I really don't want to change anything if I don't have to. Sorry about all the questions but I want to make sure I do this right so I don't end up doing something wrong and I kill myself by having a tire fall off or a tire rubbing something. Thanks, Rich

Go with studs and nuts. Look at this site:

The page you are looking for doesn't exist or has been moved.

and this thread

Wheel spacers are available at many places, possibly the parts stores. Get long studs and then cut them to length.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Matt, what's the best way to cut the studs to length?

I'm going to do this for Luxstiva, on a new pair of quality drums and the newest set of knuckles I can grab at the 'yard.

My idea of a nice "luxury feature" is not having to fight to put wheels back on a car.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Lug nuts

I have to ask another dumb question. Are 60 degree conical the same thing as 60 degree acorn?

Comment

Working...
        X