Hi Guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Guys

I have a relative new problem with the handling of my ford festiva 1994. If I run at high speed, lets say above 80 km/h especially in highway, I feel:

a. my steering wheel is shimmering or vibrating.

b. then, sometimes I feel like driven to the left or right depends on the contour of the road. Firstly, I think my front tyres are flat, but after inflating them with 35-40 psi I feel flying on the road (seem like the tyres do not touch the road), but the feeling (driven to the left or right) is just still the persistent.

c. When turn right or left sharp in low speed, I heard strange noise from my front wheels, something like.... kraaak..... krakkk....

d. I also feel like bouncing when I turn right or left in high speed

A friend diagnosed that:

a. is a common thing for small car. Is it right?

b. is due to the fail of CV joint. Is it right?

c. is also because of the fail of CV joint. Is it right?

d. is because of the fail of shock breaker. Is it right?

If you have any opinions, experiences, or even professional advices for these problems please reply my questions. I so worry about this.
    Many thanks

The "kraak" sound is the CV joints. There are quite a few threads on replacing them.

Check to make sure your bolts aren't worn in your lower control arm where it bolts to the wheel hub. Also make sure all bolts are tight and are in good condition in all of your suspension connections. Its not fun when one pops out. Don't ask how I know.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

pull your front tires and have them checked for shifted belts and uneven wear, have your car aligned after a thurough (sp) shakedown.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

X2 on wheel alignment and CV, might want to check bushings. 94 festiva hey, australia? Head on over to your profile and add your location, someone might be able to help.
        93 Ford Festiva WA (project car)
        98 Ford Festiva WF (aspire)(parts car)
        98 "Gloria" Toyota Corolla AE101 (daily driver)

Comment

Problems you describe are common to older cars with cheap tires and worn parts. Shocks and springs are often 'bagged' on older cars and give you a floating ride with less steering control. Out of round and/or unbalanced tires result in shimmy at distinct speeds. Sometimes swapping the front tires with the backs will show you what's going on. Loose ball joints and tie rods also affect steering. Is there play in the steering wheel when you're stopped? There shouldn't be. Consistant noises often indicate lousy wheel bearings and klack klack around corners is usually driveaxle-related. You don't want one of these things to seize out on the road.
          Sometimes it's better to get a professional opinion (ie get the car up on a hoist and with a mechanic looksee) rather than take a chance on an unsafe condition. Poorly maintained or worn out front ends usually means no one spent much time on maintaining brakes either.

Comment

Hi All

Thanks for all the opinion and suggestions.

I think have to take it to the garage soon. Don't want to have trouble on the road.

cheers mates

Comment

A-Manual steering does this to a point, but if its extreme have your bearings, rack, ball joints, and tie rods looked at.

B-CV joints/ axles bad, alignment bad

C-CV joints/ axles bad

D-Suspension is loose, car is light
              1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
              Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
              daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
              A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Working...
              X