Kia Rio front strut mounts on Festys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kia Rio front strut mounts on Festys

It is often hard to describe upgrades/improvements tn a car once the previous set up has been replaced. But it just so happens that I have 2 identical 93 Festys and one of them now has the Rio front strut mounts with bearings in it. Driving that car all of this week in comparison to driving the other one all of last week certainly illustrated the difference. The ease of turning Rio struts feels 1/2 way to having power assist! The difference is quite noticeable.

However, Festy shocks (or Aspire for that matter) are not a 'presto' fit through Rio bearing mounts (they need to be sleeved or wrapped) so if you're contemplating such a move perhaps investing in Rio shocks is also in order. Timmay89 has recently completed an entire 2 stud Rio (00-02) swap c/w springs and hasn't reported anything unusual, except for overall height, so there is now proof out there that this can be done.

I have the bearing uppers on a set of 04rio struts and everything works fine, except for the fact that the brake hose brackets are in the wrong place. Nothing a wire tie or two doesn't fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

rollertoaster; And these would be 2 stud mounts instead of the 3 stud arrangement I've seen on Rios fresher than 02? You're right about the brake hose brackets but then again Aspire shocks are much the same and don't fit Festy's either.

Comment

I don't know the difference between festy's and aspires, but my brake hose fit perfectly in the rio strut bracket on my aspire.
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

The early year Rio front strut hose brackets should mate well with either Aspire or Rio front brake hoses. Should fit like stock, as mine did. (I originally made the mistake of using Festiva hoses that I thought were Aspire hoses--I needed to use zip ties until I put in the correct hoses--gotta watch out for those Rockauto closeouts!)

Later years (7/02 on?) may not. I don't know as I haven't fit mine yet.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Yes, I am using 02 rip strut bearings (2 bolt), with 2004 rio struts ( they have extra tabs for abs and stuff that can be trimmed off)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had them and didn't like the change . I swapped back to aspire cuts .
              New build on the way .

Comment

Golf struts 03 rio bearing plates..

to be installed Christmas break
                Last edited by Movin; 12-19-2011, 10:05 PM. Reason: sounded like I had it done!
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
                  I had them and didn't like the change . I swapped back to aspire cuts .
                  Did you swap struts and springs or just springs?
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                  1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                  1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                  1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                  1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                  1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                    Golf struts 03 rio bearing plates..

to be installed Christmas break
                    i thought the '03 rio bearings wouldn't fit due to the extra stud.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                      Did you swap struts and springs or just springs?
                      I swapped the whole assembly, and it works great. I absolutely love the new Kia rio assemblies, and yes it does sit a bit higher, but I figure by putting in the rear aspire shocks it should be leveled off.

I would recommend this upgrade to anyone who is going for junkyard parts.

Great job Bert on the swap! Do you have any pictures? Did you end up using the festiva springs?

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
                      -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                        i thought the '03 rio bearings wouldn't fit due to the extra stud.
                        They are two stud and from Monroe.
                        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

oh, so it's '00-'03 that work then... good to know.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Careful: according to Rockauto the strut and front brake change was around late 2002. IIRC it was July. Arty, you are talking about the strut mounts, right?

Karl
                            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

yeah just the mounts, no brakes.

Comment

Working...
                              X