New daily driver wheels, help me choose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New daily driver wheels, help me choose

I'm taking my 16"s off for the winter soon. I'll be using my orange vx 13"s for dedicated snows.

I have the choice of two different sets of 13" alloys to use with 175/70/13s for daily duty.

The first set is a set of mesh momo's from a bmw 2002. They are 6" wide but would be a pain to strip and powder coat.

The second set is a set of turbines from a bmw e21. They are 5.5" wide and would be easier to strip and powder coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No reason but I like the turbines..
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

turbines with 185/60 tires on them!! ftw
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I vote for mesh!
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
        The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

I'm sticking to 175/70/13 tires for economy reasons, I can still have a little fun on them. I have 205 40 g-force kdw's on my 16s, so I don't really need sticky tires in my 13s.

Keep the votes coming.
          Once I decide on the wheel I still have to pick a color....

Comment

Momos aredrool
            91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
            14 C7 Z51

Comment

Meshes are my pick. I have a similar set thats going back on Chuck as soon as I get a motor back in him lol
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I vote turbines, but they are equally nice...you cant go wrong either way.

ADMIN @ http://ironjuggernauts.com/forum.php?referrerid=1

Comment

Which wheels are lighter?

If the turbines are lighter, I'd definitely go with those. The 175/70s are nicely at home on a 5.5" wide rim, while the 6" wide rim is overkill unless you go to 185s or larger. The thinner wheels may also reduce frontal area slightly and provide better MPGs, handling (if they're lighter) and acceleration. All probably unmeasurable, of course.

Finally, the turbines are easier to refinish.

However, I do like the mesh wheels for looks better!

Actually, I'd think your VX wheels would be best for daily driver duty. 13 X 5" wide and the lightest of the bunch, they would tend to maximize the 175/70s in acceleration, MPGs and handling.

Then I'd use the turbines for snows, and make refinishing those meshies a winter project. You know you want to!

BTW, my 13 X 5.5" VW alloys are going to be my dedicated winter snow tire wheels. I'd never use my VXs for that. My Estrellas will be my good weather DD wheels with 175/60 Falkens and the VXs will eventually get thin and light tires (155/70 or 165/65) to maximize MPGs.

Question: Are those BMW wheels ball seats (like my VW wheels) or are they cone seats?

Karl
                  Last edited by Safety Guy; 12-20-2011, 08:35 AM.
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I'm using the vx wheels for winter because I'm only using 155/80/13 snow tires which are difficult enough to inflate on a 5" wheel. Im Not worried about the finish on them gettin messed up because they are already powder coated.
                    I'm leaning towards the turbines for daily duty, however I will find out which wheel is lighter after I dismount the old tires today.
                    I haven't checked what type of lug seats they have yet, but either way I have lugs covered, I have both ball and cone lugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                      Which wheels are lighter?

If the turbines are lighter, I'd definitely go with those. The 175/70s are nicely at home on a 5.5" wide rim, while the 6" wide rim is overkill unless you go to 185s or larger. The thinner wheels may also reduce frontal area slightly and provide better MPGs, handling (if they're lighter) and acceleration. All probably unmeasurable, of course.

Finally, the turbines are easier to refinish.
                      This is basically what I was going to say too.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Ah, your 155/80-13 snows would go best on the 5" wide rims. I got it now.

Karl
                        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

So I think I prefer the look of the meshies. Slight problem though.... They are for a rwd car which is about a 20 mm offset. I bolted them up with no spacer and layed a straight edge across them up to the fender it's pretty much dead flush in the rear which is the more difficult axle to fit. I'm hoping that the negative camber helps a little when the suspension is loaded, plus a 175 tire will have a little stretch.

I guess I'm just going to have to mount up a 175 and bolt it up to check fitment.

Now for the real question. If they fit, what color of powder coat should I use?

Comment

Originally posted by rollertoaster View Post
                            So I think I prefer the look of the meshies. Slight problem though.... They are for a rwd car which is about a 20 mm offset. I bolted them up with no spacer and layed a straight edge across them up to the fender it's pretty much dead flush in the rear which is the more difficult axle to fit. I'm hoping that the negative camber helps a little when the suspension is loaded, plus a 175 tire will have a little stretch.

I guess I'm just going to have to mount up a 175 and bolt it up to check fitment.

Now for the real question. If they fit, what color of powder coat should I use?

Hellaflush stanced out Festiva ftw!!! LOL

I'm working up a new stretch tire wide wheel flared setup right now myself.
                            '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

Comment

mesh

Comment

Working...
                              X