What rhymes with green?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What rhymes with green?

Tein rhymes with green, that's what! Picked up a full set from REDNECK1, thanks Terry. I'm not going to put them on right away but will wait at least until spring. I'll probably have them on for Westiva though.

Question for you... should I use Festiva strut mounts (new of course) or try to get the Rio ones to work?

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fastivaca; 12-21-2011, 03:40 PM.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

I though "ei" made the "long I" sound.....
    At least in German, the second vowel gets pronounced. But, I've been wrong before!

ANyway, congrats on the nice score!
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I've always pronounced it "teen" but could be wrong of course!
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

^^ in that case...what rhymes with '' not mine''?

his tein.....lol

ADMIN @ http://ironjuggernauts.com/forum.php?referrerid=1

Comment

if you can get the rio ones to fit that would be awesome, cause i dont have mine on bearings when i turn from lock to lock, it will wind up the spring untill the top hat slips and it will make this awfull noise...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
          1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Its pronounced like "Tay-in" Rhymes with Pain...its Japanese people lol.
            Last edited by BUSTIVA; 12-21-2011, 04:19 PM.
            '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

Comment

^ yes, each vowel gets its own syllable
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSTIVA View Post
                Its pronounced like "Tay-in" Rhymes with Pain...its Japanese people lol.
                Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                ^ yes, each vowel gets its own syllable
                Not quite true on either account. The Japanese homepage reads the company title as テイン - which transliterates to teh-ee-nn divided by character. Teh as in television, ee as in email, etc. The Japanese phonetic productive ability has only five distinct vowels that work in creative conjunction with a huge pile of emphatic glides to deceptively reproduce foreign loan-words and sounds. No such thing as tay... it will always be teh-ee without dialect coaching.

Most dialects and accents of English do the same thing to Japanese, unable to accurately reproduce Japanese words like karaoke, and so on opting for more compatible and convenient pronunciations like Care-eee-OH-keee. If you said that to a Japanese person, they would think you wanted to buy/eat/consume a big curry dish and had terrible linguistic abilities.

The combination of the first two characters forms a glide akin to: teiiii... which if enunciated quickly enough can sound as if it were in fact an authentic Tay sound. Further, this word doesn't have stress... so no syllable gets any more priority than any other.

Vowels don't get their own syllables in Japanese... that's not accurate. They often have their own characters... like the eee/iii in テイン... but the truth is actually the inverse... that consonants do not get their own syllables with the only exception being a devocalized N sound as we have in this example. In other words, you cannot have a single unified T sound in Japanese... it'll either be タ チ ツ テ ト - ta chi tsu te to. To produce any other combination, a grouping is needed.

This makes it sound very similar to the "tain" in obtain rather than the "tein" of protein... but looks can be deceiving.
                Last edited by Aaronbrook37; 12-21-2011, 08:23 PM.
                1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
                  This makes it sound very similar to the "tain" in obtain rather than the "tein" of protein... but looks can be deceiving.
                  And obtain rhymes with pain...like I said.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

^^Watch this video, skip to 1:05 the say tein about 40 times lol.

I hate when americans pronounce foreign words in an english way...like nissan. Its not kneesawn lol. Its Niss-in. Hard to explain in english over the web with text lol.
                  Last edited by BUSTIVA; 12-21-2011, 09:29 PM.
                  '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

Comment

I hate when americans pronounce foreign words in an english way...like nissan. Its not kneesawn lol. Its Niss-in. Hard to explain in english over the web with text lol.
                    which if enunciated quickly enough can sound as if it were in fact an authentic Tay sound.
                    I don't actually disagree with you... my profession just demands that I play the semantics card on what rhythm means. The Eminem school of thought would dictate that there are five words that rhyme with orange on this basis. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kQBVneC30o

This works great in the music industry... not so much for linguistics. I spend hours and hours every single week beating the Engrish out of my entire high school, and this particular vowel glide is particularly challenging with such entrenched pronunciation methodology.

This is the same reason that Asians get so made fun of for R/L differentiation. Often times they can't actually hear the difference if the vocabulary is new to them... and will only know the difference between light and right through repetition and context. If either is missing, it's all but hopeless without intensive and ridiculously expensive therapy.

Couldn't agree more though... it's a melancholic truth that even great men have poor relations... especially in the context of phonemic production of foreign loan words. Arguably, this flavor is what makes humanity and culture so interesting.
                    Last edited by Aaronbrook37; 12-21-2011, 10:29 PM.
                    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Couldn't agree more though... it's a melancholic truth that even great men have poor relations... especially in the context of phonemic production of foreign loan words. Arguably, this flavor is what makes humanity and culture so interesting.
                      well said sir, well said. but i still cringe when i hear the average american say nearly any foreign derived word
                      Originally posted by scirocco*joe
                      Project Car Theorem:
                      If
                      a) w = all time
                      b) x = time spent at work
                      c) y = the number of project cars you have
                      d) z = amount of time you can spend each project car

Then

z = (w - x) / y

Comment

To-mAAA-toe, to-mAAAH-toe, Po-tAAA-toe, Po-tAAH-to............let's call the coil springs off.

Thank you, I'll be here all week...
                        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

Aaron-san wrote:

"...and will only know the difference between light and right through repetition and context. If either is missing, it's all but hopeless without intensive and ridiculously expensive therapy."

When you get back, perhaps you could open up a linguistic therapy salon and create a demand amongst a well-heeled subset of our population for such a thing.

Call one offering an "intercultural phonetic training program" and insist it become a priority for anyone seeking to take advantage of rapid globalization shifts.

With your knowledge and experience, you should not lack for appropriate terminology to attract such business! Take some Chomsky and McCluhan, add some more recent expert opinion, then a healthy dose of BS to round it out. (Open up shop next to a Reiki or Rolfing studio for added impact.)

You could have the "Next Bag Thang."

Karl
                          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I think I got it! I'll use it in a sentence........
                            "I looked out da winder today and seen my naybur Tein thur Pit Bull up to an ole engine block". :laughing8:
                            Last edited by blkfordsedan; 12-22-2011, 02:37 PM.
                            Brian

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

^^Watch this video, skip to 1:05 the say tein about 40 times lol.

I hate when Asian's pronounce foreign words in an Asian way...
                              Like Lincoln or Cadillac. Rink-en or Cataract LOL Rib jab jab
                              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                              X