Capri xr2 & Capri N/A hubs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capri xr2 & Capri N/A hubs ?

Is there a difference between the turbo and N/A capri hubs? Aside from the midshaft that the xr2 have that the N/A doesn't use is the spline count the same for the axles. I know a few of the members uses this xr2 set-up hope some one could answer...Thanks!

They're the same

Certain early N/A's got a smaller brake rotor
    1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
    High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
    Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
      They're the same

Certain early N/A's got a smaller brake rotor
      Thanks Matt! I knew u wid answer this! Just found a pair at the j/y.

Comment

read the wap infor FIRST, so you don't run into surprises. if you have questions, don't hesitate, i'll answer them as soon as i can.

just so you don't forget, you MUST use aspire lower control arms to make this work.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

With the Xr2 knuckles,since you have to use the Aspire LCA's, which axles are used?
          I have looked on here for which ones to use but haven't been successful at finding a solid answer.
          Jerry
          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
          90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
          92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
          93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

I'm runnin on an aspire swap on my BP and just found a set of Capri hubs and calipers but pick n pull ain't cheap anymore! For the whole set of hub,knuckles,disk brake, calipers & break pads will cost me $165.00!

Comment

That's not worth it. If you're already running an aspire swap the Capri stuff isn't much better and you'll have two different bolt patterns.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                That's not worth it. If you're already running an aspire swap the Capri stuff isn't much better and you'll have two different bolt patterns.
                I thought they were 4x100 not 4x114.3. Looks like it's not worth it at all.

Comment

Marginal increase in braking power and going back to a captured rotor...meh
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Marginal? The Capri rotor is a lot bigger than an Aspire rotor. Also, this:

If you hate the captured rotor. Those rotors are cheaper than new Capri ones.
                    Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
                    1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
                    2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
                    2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

I have the vr4 upgrade on my festy dude. I have rear discs too. Egt master and aspire booster. It really isn't that much better. These cars are just too light to take full advantage of the brakes.
                      91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Another thing folks might want to consider when doing any of the Capri brake upgrades is the higher price of the Aspire control arms. I'm not sure what the average cost is, but Rockauto had Mevotechs at $100 each and Raybestos PGs at $110 each, while the same brands for Festiva control arms were priced at $27 each and $57 each, respectively. (The cheapest Festiva control arms started at $15 each for Dormans, while Rockauto had no other brands to choose from for Aspire arms.)

If I were doing a Festiva quality/performance build, I'd buy the Moogs at $47 each, so compare that with $100 plus for comparable quality Aspire arms. One-hundred bucks more money. Something to add to the equation.

Karl
                        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Karl my aspire arms were around $45 each at Autozone if I recall. Definitely not $100+
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Ha! Big difference then. It pays to shop around!

Karl
                            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Got my aspire arms from eBay and they were the same price as the festiva arms. The big brakes on my car are very useable, and make a huge difference. I still want more front brake, but I'm just going to upgrade my calipers. I have the stock festiva drums on the rear for now.
                              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
                              X