Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there a differance between manual steering racks from different years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a differance between manual steering racks from different years?

i took apart my junk yard unit to clean and lube it and noticed the inner tie rod end had different retainers than the one i have in my car. its has weird metal locking piece almost like a castle nut. the one on my car has a roll pin style. are they interchangeable?
    I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

i put the whole steering rack from an 88 in my 93 just the other day and it works fine. i needed to find something or else i couldnt getit inspected. it fit in and bolted up to the steering coloum fine for me.
    93 Festiva L White B6T
    99 Dodge Ram STL Green Cummins. AKA the Jolly Green Giant
    89 Festiva Blue
    91 Green “Mad Maxine” Festiva B6T
    93 Festiva GL Black BP automatic
    93 Festiva GL Green stock

Comment

The carb 88 89 cars had different sized inner tyrods . The end that screws in the rack is bigger and they have bend over tabs instead of the push roll pin .
      New build on the way .

Comment

There was a recent thread on "fine thread" vs. "course thread" inner tie rod ends where they go into the rack part. I remember I posted a picture of my rack end there.

I think the '88 and '89 cars had the fine thread and later FI cars had course threading. Better double check that though. If you swap the whole rack over it shouldn't be an issue if you keep each style rack threading the same. Apparently there are two different styles.

Okay, I justed checked at Rockauto. The '89 and '90 inner tie rod ends are different part numbers, plus, there are pics to compare them. They look exactly as described above by the original poster. Two different styles.

Karl
        Last edited by Safety Guy; 01-01-2012, 07:29 AM.
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

damn...i got the wrong rack. i have brand new inners and i guess i got the wrong rack
          I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X