Coil Over question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Over question

Hey guys,have a really stupid question. But its been bugging me for a while. I have some experience with suspension.But not nearly as much as some of you. I want my car to handle better. But wont risk safety. So here is my question.How is it acceptable to install CIVIC Coil Overs on a Festy, thats designed for a McPherson Strut? Doesn't the McPherson Strut design incorporate the Upper Control Arm into it? And when you install a Honda Coil Over. You thus remove the Upper Control Arm portion of the suspension? I have a tendency to PUSH a car to its limit. And want to be safe. Thanks & be nice with your replies.Or I'll come take your car for a beat run
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Festiva doesn't have an upper control arm. Are you saying real coilovers or just sleeves
    :cry_smile: RIP. 91 Ford festiva BP swap

1990 Mazda Miata BP swap, 99 trans, 3.9 Torsen rear end, Mazdaspeed6 k04 turbo on 15 psi.

Comment

ok, first you need to know what comprises a McPherson strut:
      The MacPherson strut is a type of car suspension system which uses the axis of a telescopic damper as the upper steering pivot. It is widely used in modern vehicles and named after Earle S. MacPherson, who developed the design. (wiki)

any suspension that uses an upper control arm as a steering pivot or knuckle position control point is NOT a MacPherson.

that being said, the spring doesn't affect the strut construction or it's actuation. that's why it's OK to install Civic springs on a festy strut.
      Last edited by FestYboy; 01-04-2012, 06:00 PM.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Not ebay ones, you'll be bouncing all day. The VW Rokkor and Raceland ones work well.
        91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
        14 C7 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          ok, first you need to know what comprises a McPherson strut:
          The MacPherson strut is a type of car suspension system which uses the axis of a telescopic damper as the upper steering pivot. It is widely used in modern vehicles and named after Earle S. MacPherson, who developed the design. (wiki)

any suspension that uses an upper control arm as a steering pivot or knuckle position control point is NOT a MacPherson.

that being said, the spring doesn't affect the strut construction or it's actuation. that's why it's OK to install Civic springs on a festy strut.
          I thought they were actually installing the shock & spring from a civic. When the state they are installing "Civic Coilovers" on their Festy. So they are just using the Civic spring? And I thought the Festy was a Macpherson just like the fox chassis. I know we dont have an upper control arm. Doesnt our upper strut mount help locate the knuckle? I could have sworn I've seen someone on this thread install a civic shock & spring stup that eliminated the large rubber mount that we use. Or do I need to stop sniffing paint? Thanks for your patience Arty!
          Last edited by nitrofarm; 01-04-2012, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Vw View Post
            Not ebay ones, you'll be bouncing all day. The VW Rokkor and Raceland ones work well.
            THANKS vw,so people are jus using the spring not the spring/shock from a civic. Correct?

Comment

exactly. And see what else you could salvage from that wreck. Made me lol...
              Raising the bar for compact cars around the world.
              .:: 1997 Aspire ::. The Glowspire. Revived project
              .:: 1998 Aspire ::. The Glowspire red bean. Current Project

My Ford Aspire DIY Wing Conversion
              Glow_Mouse's 97' Glowspire
              Glow_Mouse's 98' Glowspire
              Ford Aspire Forum Here!
              Order FordAspire.com Decals Range 1!
              Order FordAspire.com Decals Range 2!

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                I thought they were actually installing the shock & spring from a civic. When the state they are installing "Civic Coilovers" on their Festy. So they are just using the Civic spring? And I thought the Festy was a Macpherson just like the fox chassis. I know we dont have an upper control arm. Doesnt our upper strut mount help locate the knuckle? I could have sworn I've seen someone on this thread install a civic shock & spring stup that eliminated the large rubber mount that we use. Or do I need to stop sniffing paint? Thanks for your patience Arty!
                yeah, the "civic coilovers" statement is JUST the spring and sleeve installed onto the factory strut.

the Festy front IS a MacPherson, and that means the lower strut mount is what locates the knuckle for camber/caster.

i have yet to see any other suspention setup on a festy like what you describe. i recomend putting the lid back on that paint bucket...
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  yeah, the "civic coilovers" statement is JUST the spring and sleeve installed onto the factory strut.

the Festy front IS a MacPherson, and that means the lower strut mount is what locates the knuckle for camber/caster.

i have yet to see any other suspention setup on a festy like what you describe. i recomend putting the lid back on that paint bucket...
                  Hey thanks Arty.Now I'm straight.And my Civic was a curse 175k & multiple accidents. Its now replaced by my Aspire. Which is just fine by me! Thanks guys for the clarification-

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                    ...my Civic was a curse 175k & multiple accidents. Its now replaced by my Aspire.
                    ONE accident is enough for an Aspire... That's how I lost BluDot. New tires, hydroplaning 30mph into a triple-ball trailer hitch. Put the front bumper through the radiator. Had I known what I know today, I'd have a lot of those parts on my Festiva.
                    Last edited by DriverOne; 01-05-2012, 12:03 AM.
                    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Working...
                    X