Suspension - $1000 budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension - $1000 budget

I want a sporty ride yet, soft enough to go over bumps and dips and not get jarred. A couple inch drop with enough clearance to go into driveways and not kill my ride.

Jedi masters.. I call on you! What should I do?

with $1k you can get teins if you can find them, FMS has(d)? them, they are nice, and cost like $850
    Owner of:
    1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
    In progress:
    BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

With $1000 you ought to do a whole aspire swap upgrade.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
      The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

A straight aspire swap wont give him what he wants...
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
          That is true, BUT he could do the tein swap to get the better suspension, and then do the aspire swap to get the bigger brakes and stiffer rear axle. Win win, and should be do-able for about $1000.

Also consider Kia Rio to strut bearings... if that is possible to adapt to the tein system. It will greatly help with steering.
          Last edited by timmay89; 01-30-2012, 05:07 PM.

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
          -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
            True true I should have added "as well"
            Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
            The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

[/QUOTE]Also consider Kia Rio to strut bearings... if that is possible to adapt to the tein system. It will greatly help with steering.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks for all the input. I'm looking into it as we speak.

Comment

Also consider Kia Rio to strut bearings... if that is possible to adapt to the tein system. It will greatly help with steering.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks for all the input. I'm looking into it as we speak.[/QUOTE]

I have it running on my Festiva, so yes it is possible. The question is, will the tein system work with the rio tops?

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
                -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

I'm quite happy with KYB GR2s and stock Festy springs. What is better about the coilovers?

I had to swap Aspire Monroes onto the rear for a higher spring perch, due to wider tires I put on after switching to GR2s front and rear. The Monroes are not as good, just OK. The GR2 ride seems more controlled and a little stiffer.

EDIT: I also have the Aspire front swaybar and the rear threaded-bar mod.
                  Last edited by TominMO; 01-30-2012, 06:31 PM.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

is it just me or is 1k for suspension on a 800 car a bit much. dont get me wrong i love mine but it has got to be the mosy poorly engineered suspension i have seen(well maybe tied with the mark 4 spitfire rear suspension) with that kind of money i would look into custom fab work to install real lower control arms (like a 323 or maybe even tubular for that kind of cash) to get a better geometry and just replace the shocks with stock replacement kybs(i love mine) and some 1.5" drop springs.

always remember that $$$ does not equal performance... my "ghetto" suspension setup has out handled integras with $1400 function and form fully adjustable suspension...

just my $.02
                    I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

The suspension on my festiva cost $1800 brand new, I'm just glad it wasn't me that paid for it originally lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

:eeeeeek: seriously? i guess im just sticker shocked cause i have the time, patience, and mechanical ability to achieve my desired ride quality without spending enough money to buy another car...
                        I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

lol ya i would not have paid that much for suspenion either, but since they were already installed on my festiva when i got it, i was not complaining haha

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Aspire swap+ Racelands or Rokkors.
                            91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                            14 C7 Z51

Comment

From his description, it sounds like he needs a set of FMS springs. Heck, I might even be willing to sell mine for 999.99. May even throw in free shpping...
                              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                              X