Got my Gr-2's and coilovers on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my Gr-2's and coilovers on

Okay I spent all yesturday doing my most involved car work, to date. Like I said im learning as I go, but I got my coilovers and gr-2's on. It took me awhile to get the rear swing arm off from my donor car, so no more daily driver, but the soon to be wife didn't want me to drive it anymore. I totally forgot to compress the front spring before I took them off, so the first one scared me when it almost took my foot off:-) Other than that, and a serious cut on my hand everything went well. I jumped up and down on the bumpers and I have to say these coilovers are not as stiff as I expected from what everyone sad. Definetely more firm, but not rock hard.

I really wont know till I get it driving. I was suppose to put the BP in real quick, have everything for the swap, but the person that was suppose to help me with the welding and removal and installation is either out of town, or dissapeared:-) So either im going to have to stick the damn 1.3 in it to get it to the meet in May, or im going to have to figure out the BP installation on my own. Im pretty sure im ready to tackle it though.

One question about installing a new clutch, I know I have to get the flywheel resurfaced so the new clutch doesn't get ruined. But is there anything specific I need to know about install a clutch? Is there anything I have to grease? Pilot bearing?

Logan

forgot to mention

Forgot to mention, with my rims on and 195/50/15's on its only got about a 1/8 inch clearance on the rear spring perch, is that going to give me problems?

Comment

You might get some rubbing around corners when the tire flexes. You might have to get some spacers.
      OX SMASH!!

Comment

Make a rear strut brace. This will help. Before I put on my new wheels/tires mine rubbed and I had about a 1/4 inch.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
        BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
        BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
        New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

It makes that much of a difference? Wow.

I was trying to figure out a way to make a quick release for a rear strut brace. I want one so I have a place to mount a camera in the rear, but I also have to carry stuff back there and it would get in the way.
          OX SMASH!!

Comment

Originally posted by oxbrain

I was trying to figure out a way to make a quick release for a rear strut brace. I want one so I have a place to mount a camera in the rear, but I also have to carry stuff back there and it would get in the way.
            Don't know what kind of difference it makes. I haven't install ed mine yet. I just know I had a gap and they rubbed.

Comment

Originally posted by oxbrain

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

that may be just what you're after.[/url]
              "Nothing's gonna grieve us
              When we drive Festivas
              I could go a hundred miles an hour
              Long as I got the Almighty Power
              With my plastic Jesus
              Riding on the dashboard of my car"

Comment

Actually, the biggest problem I was running into would be pretensioning it. Those will let you remove the bar, but it wouldn't be doing much good.

I'm going to make a camera mount and then do some tests to see how much flex there is and in what direction. I'm thinking that it might actually be better to just run a brace from each to the floor oposite, like a X.

I still have to get the new suspension on though.
                OX SMASH!!

Comment

Matt, you really think the a rear strut tower brace will help?? I thought that due to the rear beam design the it wouldn't do anything... Let me know when you install yours.. -Kyle
                  Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Silv3rBull3t
                    Matt, you really think the a rear strut tower brace will help?? I thought that due to the rear beam design the it wouldn't do anything... Let me know when you install yours.. -Kyle
                    Not sure if it will help. The one I have is a tube that is flattened out on the ends and a hole drilled to fit over the top of the strut. Now since I have more tire clearance I won't rub. Maybe I'll toss on the old wheels and see if the rub.

I hope to install the brace soon. I did paint it and it's ready to install. I'll post when I do it.

Comment

Working...
                    X