rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rotors

has anyone bought rotors from eBay? im making a list of parts to be replaced and rotors are on the list. i saw some slotted and drilled rotors on eBay and was wondering what all the other aspire/festiva owners preferred on THEIR cars. ive heard slotted rotors ruin your pads faster but what about both? is there a difference between slotted and drilled? or just for "looks?"

My impression is that slotted and drilled rotors are just for looks. I've read that slotted alone may work well but I have no solid info on that.

I'd save my money and get good quality standard rotors for your car. Something like Raybestos PG Plus or better. Try Rockauto for some good deals, but be sure to play with shipping so you know how much it will be. Also check Autozone, Advance, etc. for any coupon specials they are running. Ship to store can save you money.

If you have a Festiva, consider an Aspire brake swap, which will dramatically improve your braking and handling with standard Aspire parts.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Ok thanks. Ive looked into the raybestos brake products. Would "upgrading" my mtx rotors and calipers to an atx caliper and rotor setup harm anything? Is it a direct bolt on? And will it ruin any components of the braking system or the car in that matter. Im pretty serious when it comes to "modding" my brakes lol.

Comment

If you upgrade to Auto brakes you'll have to swap rotors, pads, and calipers, and when you change calipers you'll have to re-bleed your brake lines.
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Ive got an aspire brake swap and eBay drilled and slotted rotors with upgraded pads. The setup works fantastic, loads better than stock, will lock up the tires if your not careful.
          ***Micah***

"It's like a big lego to me"
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3065537

Comment

The Aspires had two different front brakes:

MTX: thinner rotors with shorter caliper brackets to fit

ATX: thicker rotors with larger caliper brackets to fit

Note: The ONLY difference between Aspire MTX and ATX front brakes are the rotors and caliper brackets.

Now since rebuilt calipers are generally sold with the brackets, you need to choose MTX or ATX when you order the calipers. Actually, the calipers are the same. We just normally don't take off the caliper brackets when changing brakes.

Pads, hoses and calipers themselves are the same size for all Aspires.

When you go from Aspire MTX front brakes to ATX brakes, you need to get a set of calipers with brackets off an ATX Aspire. Then whether you use them as is, rebuild them, or exchange them for rebuilt or new calipers, you will be using the brackets that came with them. Then all you need are the thicker rotors.

If you want, you could remove the brackets from an ATX Aspire and swap them with your current MTX brackets. Then all you'd need are the thicker ATX rotors.

Clear enough?

Here are the ATX Aspire rotors (same size and thickness as early Kia Rio) on Aqua:

FYI, I once weighed two sets of Raybestos PG Plus rotors to compare Aspire MTX with ATX. The ATX rotors were 3 pounds per pair heavier. That's 1.5 pounds of steel added to each rotor. So far Aqua's brakes have been great.

Karl
            Last edited by Safety Guy; 03-16-2012, 11:18 AM.
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I track tested the eBay drilled/slotted rotors this last weekend on the race track. They held up to some extreme punishment. I'm talking 2 sets of front pads in 150miles/ burned 1200 degrees caliper paint right off kind of abuse. They worked awesome and didn't fade even though I was using cheap organic/metallic pads. These were Capri xr2 rotors, but the size is very similar to an aspire auto. Don't buy the " performance" low dust ceramic pads on eBay, they have very little initial bite and they fade from there when you need them the most. Here's a picture I took at 75 miles of punishment.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Having switched to Aspire fixins a year ago all I can say is any (ie using only budget parts) Aspire brakes are already better wearing and stopping than the under-engineered and marginal OEM Festy setup.
                Used to have to change pads and shoes every 6 months (and cringe at the prospect of having to change a rotor) and was pleasantly surprised last weekend to discover that the Aspire brake swap is still perfect after 20K.
                Likely because they're considerably bigger, and better (vented, even!).

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                  I track tested the eBay drilled/slotted rotors this last weekend on the race track. They held up to some extreme punishment. I'm talking 2 sets of front pads in 150miles/ burned 1200 degrees caliper paint right off kind of abuse. They worked awesome and didn't fade even though I was using cheap organic/metallic pads. These were Capri xr2 rotors, but the size is very similar to an aspire auto. Don't buy the " performance" low dust ceramic pads on eBay, they have very little initial bite and they fade from there when you need them the most. Here's a picture I took at 75 miles of punishment.

LOVIN the dirty girl picture !! haha
                  New build on the way .

Comment

I LOVE the way cars look after a day or two of serious flogging! I'll post pictures of what the calipers looked like at the end, it's awesome! Looks like I just won the 24 at Sebring. Lol
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

gotta love the XR2 swap!!! ftw
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The xr2 swap works awesome, especially with the Miata m/c and booster, but I have to downsize to fit 13" wheels on.

Comment

you, sir, need some F1 brakes!!! they fit 13" wheels LOL
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Hmmm, I do have some connections at Lockheed. Inboard brakes would clutter my engine bay though. Every once and awhile a guy puts up 13x8 Forged Magnesium O.Z. Formula car wheels on Ebay. I have come so close to pushing that buy it now button. I just want them as decoration.

Comment

Working...
                            X