Damaged LCA Torque Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged LCA Torque Box

Found this last night.Not the end of the world.But want to fix it correct. Was thinking of welding a all METAL lock nut to a rectangle plate that fits in the box.Then center this plate in the box. Weld it in place,then weld up box with a piece of angle iron. Open to suggestions
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

If you are able to turn the pivot bolt I would weld the cage nut a little more then make the channel look like original. I would run that bolt back and forth a few times then put anti-seize.

Comment

you can get weldable captive nuts on sites like mcmastercarr.com that will have a bit more surface area and will work well for the application.
      89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
      94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
      2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
      1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Is supposed to be a "Floating Caged Nut" from the factory? Its so chewed up,cant tell.Or is it a "Welded Nut" from the factory?

Comment

Finished the repairs

Was able to do it with stuff I had around the Barn. Hopefully it'll hold for another 20yrs.

Comment

stronger than stock, i like it.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Very nice! Reminds me of what the geo metro guys have to do
              -Zack
              Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Great pics....

Comment

nice job... i gotta do this next time i do my LCA's... when i tightened the bolt after a few threads and its just starting to tighten then i feel the nut spin on the inside and then it wont tighten anymore i figgured it will be fine till i do it next lol...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                  1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Working...
                  X