Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire swap really worth it???

Hey guys,

Im planning on rebuilding the festiva suspension, and see its practically the same thing as just doing a swap, so Im kinda thinking about it.....for the 3rd time, lol, keep talking myself out of it. I want to keep the car as light as possible.

I want to know what is the best gain from the swap? I personally think the stock brakes are good enough for now(can always downshift imo). Is that the only benifit from the swap? Other than the easier bolt pattern to find wheels for? Hows Festiva w/FMS suspension VS Festiva w/aspire suspension+FMS parts????

Thanks guys

If you want to maximize fuel economy, keep the car as light as possible, you won't be driving it very hard, and you are willing to redo the Festiva stock brake components, then the Aspire swap might not be for you.

Before I did Lux's Aspire swap, my stock brake calipers, pads, and the knuckles Matt gave me worked pretty well. I was pleased.

However, with my B6 swap and my "driving enjoyment," I really appreciate the swap because of the better brakes and the rear stabilizer bar, which reduces body lean without adding to the understeer (as a heavier front bar might).

I'm running cut Aspire springs (one coil cut from each corner) so I can't tell you about the FMS springs. My springs are noisy, so I will be going to FMS sport springs by the end of summer.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I am not even done with my swap, and I'll tell you it's worth it. Bare minimum, do the front hubs. The rotors on the festiva are pressed onto the hubs, which means taking your hubs down to a shop to get new rotors. The aspire ones are screwed on from the face, so you can change them yourself.

I decided to do mine because it really isn't all that much if you are already pulling the suspension apart, and with larger tires the festiva brakes do have a hard time locking up at anything over 25mph.
      OX SMASH!!

Comment

Working...
      X