Transmission leak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission leak.

Since my old axle had a bad CV, and I was going to have the suspension off the car anyway, I decided to put a new(junkyard) axle on the car. Since I just changed the fluid a couple months ago, I decided that instead of draining the fluid, I would just pull the old axle, and put the new one in.

Now there is a steady leak at that axle. Did I just screw up a seal? How hard is it to replace?
    OX SMASH!!

CV seals are relatively easy to replace. Get a new seal!

Do you mean you didn't drain the tranny fluid when you swapped out axles? Wouldn't that have spilled most of your fluid? I've done two CV jobs (the second one was when I did my engine swap) and I drained the tranny both times.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

A lot spilled, I just used a pan to catch it and I'll filter it and throw it back in. It's only about 4 month old fluid, so it's still fine.

I checked and it looks like seals are only $7 each. Good to hear it's nothing too serious.
      OX SMASH!!

Comment

did you get it pushed all the way in until you heard it click?

Comment

I didn't hear a click, but the c-clip on the end is definatly working to hold the axle in.
          OX SMASH!!

Comment

seals I guess.. I've been pretty hard on mine with the axel popping out and replacing the axels a few times and all, but have yet to replace them..

Comment

Wow, this oil seal is NOT coming out. The manual says gently remove it with a large screwdriver or seal removal tool. I've been using a screwdriver and hammer and it hasn't budged. Comparing it to the new one I'm sure I'm on the seal, not the case. I tried grabbing it with pliers and it just shreds. I'm about to switch to the pull hammer tommorow.

This thing is holding up work on the rest of my car. :x

I'm seriously considering going down to pull a part and getting a new tranny.
              OX SMASH!!

Comment

I got my slide hammer out of storage. 10 seconds and the seal popped out. 10 minutes later the new one was in. I put the new axle in, filled the tranny, and no leaks overnight.

I also just realised this is in the wrong section. ops:
                OX SMASH!!

Comment

Originally posted by oxbrain
                  I also just realized this is in the wrong section. ops:

gee , what gave you that idea? :roll:

Comment

Working...
                  X