Bedliner to "paint" wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedliner to "paint" wheels?

Folks have painted their whole cars with the Herculiner bed liner stuff. Why not wheels? Or rather, wheel centers?

If you leave the rims unpainted then there should be little or nothing to touch up after tires are mounted or dismounted. Prep the surfaces well, tape off, and then use either the Herculiner to brush on or the Duplicolor spray. Colors include black, red, white and grey for the Herc, while I think the Dupli spray is just in black.

Yes, it will be "textured," but are there any reasons not to? Seems like it would make an interesting finish.

Thoughts?

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

I'd like to see it done, but wouldn't do it myself.
    1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
    Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
    daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
    A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Ha!

Folks use spray on Plastidip. Why not bed liner, as long as you don't brush on too many coats. Might work well and have an interesting texture to it.

Hmmmm...

Karl

Comment

Some of the other bed liner materials can be mixed to your paint code but with
        wheels I like your suggestion because everytime you put a rim in a tire machine
        it would remove the part right on the edge. You could touch it back up quickly.

I used dupli-color on my quad for the plastic part that is black. Clean the heck out
        of it and use that pre spray to make it bond stuff, it really works good and looks
        cool.
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

It might be nice on steel wheels too.

Movin, how does that stuff do on softer, more flexible stuff? Could you refinish a nasty looking steering wheel with it? Any idea?

Karl

Comment

The herculiner is harder and more brittle, it might not do so well. Duplicolor is more flexible so if prep and then prep spray is used it could be used for a new look.
            Commercial stuff, Reflex like mine is rubber, its original use was to layer conveyor belts
            at rock quarries so that the entire belt would last several times longer, so it is very tough and very flexible. Rhino and Line-X are not as flexible but are very tough. Line-X seems to be slipperier, like for sliding 55 gal drums around on a bed.
            Reflex is used to rehab decks, and for making rubber roofs. Of the two do it yourself
            ones I would suspect duplicolor might hold up better on plastics. Use the prep spray!

Edit, I saw above you mentioned only a part..If you need to tape something, get the tape with wire in it, regular tape doesn't stand a chance...auto paint store supplies.
            Last edited by Movin; 05-05-2012, 06:51 PM.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
            X