Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATE brake rotors?

I'm thinking about getting a pair of these:

I can get them for about the same as I pay for my usual rotors (about $24 each).

They're for auto Aspire/Rio and will go on Prettystiva, my "new" '93GL, which will probably get a B6ME swap. Pads will be good quality semi-metallic.

"To slot or not to slot," that is my question!

Or would Brembo be better?:

Thoughts? Comments?

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 07-14-2012, 06:44 PM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

After some "web research" I'm leaning towards plain Brembos or even Duralasts. AZ has a $10 rebate going on now for a pair of rotors and set of Duralast pads, and my "points" are about up to the $20 bonus level to use.

Two Duralast rotors are $44 + Duralast pads $20 minus $10 rebate = $54.00.

Subtract my $20 bonus from that and I'm at $34.00. Not too bad. I believe Arty recommended basic semi-metallic pads from the McParts stores...

Comments still welcome!

Karl

Comment

Buy them one at a time to increase your point total. As long as your second purchase is at least an hour later, you get the AZ rewards point toward the 20 bonus.
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Great idea! Thanks!

Karl

Comment

IDK, i've heard bad things about Zone rotors. Like being warped right out of the box..I'd give 'em a good look over and make sure they are good before install.
          Last edited by drddan; 07-15-2012, 12:31 PM.
          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Thanks for the warning Dan, I'll do that.

Karl

Comment

I installed a set of ATE powerslots on a turbo mk2 VW GTI I bult about ten years ago. they were the stock 9.4" brakes (in order to be able to run my 13" track wheels). The car was a track car for about a year, then I drove it to Maine, drove it daily for a year and gave the car to my friend Brandon who has put over 100k more miles on the car (he even hit an elk with the car in Oregon, B6tG25MR can verify this, as he's loaded about 150 lbs of Mazda parts into that poor GTI) and it's still got the same powerslots on it! Several sets of pads (I put 4 or 5 sets through those rotors) a close to two dozen cross country trips (Brandon is a RallyAmerica mechanic) and a decade of pure abuse later they still stop that tired MK2. They are excellent rotors.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Where did you source those ATE rotors, Karl?
                Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

I think I confused them with Brembos at Tire Rack for that price. ATEs are running $40 for MTX and $65 for ATX at Rockauto.

The whole thing is confusing due to different websites' BS. Some have multiple listings on Brembos and ATEs, etc. I don't think they make that many models.

The Tire Rack Brembos might be a good deal, if there is only one version. And it depends on shipping, which it won't let me see right away. Then how long will it take to get them in? Etc.

I think I'll just get a set of Raybestos Advanced Tech rotors and Centric drums.

Rockauto also has Brembo MTX Aspire rotors on sale for $12.50 each for a future build. I think I'll get a pair, though the shipping ain't so great.

Now I'm looking for Timkin bearings, but not finding much!

Anyone know where to get Timkins for front and rear?

Karl

Comment

Blah, One of the McParts here has them, I think Advance.
                    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

autozone has timkens, advance has nationals...both can be found on rockauto for cheaper if you have the part numbers.
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I found that I could get timken bearings super cheap on eBay by just searching the bearing number. I think I paid around $8 a bearing for my front wheel bearings.
                        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I had the powerslot rotors on my mx-3 gs, they were awesome. Several 120+ fast stops, hard daily driving, aggressive axis metal master pads. Never had an issue, nor a complaint. The advantage of the slotted rotor is that it is constantly shaving off the glaze on the pad face, so you always have a nice matting surface.
                          Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                          93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                          91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                          93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                          15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                          88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

I recommended ate rotors to a friend on fa.com, and sent him a link to the ate site. I went through the ate catalog, and they list rotors for auto aspires, but not for manuals, and I couldn't find anyplace to actually order them from. Ate site links you to advanceauto.com, but they don't list them.

Today the guy on fa.com got an email from a sales rep at ate, who claims they don't make any rotors for an aspire. If anyone knows different, please let me know, I was thinking about getting a set myself.
                            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

zoom-zoom Rock Auto has 1 set of each left for Aspire.40.99 ea manual 65.79 ea auto.

Comment

Working...
                              X