Energy Sway Bar Bushing Bracket Idea.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Energy Sway Bar Bushing Bracket Idea.

Alright, so I guess by now everyone knows you can't use the energy 7/8 sway bar bracket for the Festy because of the slotted mounting holes.

Well today I installed a trimmed set of Energy bushings that I trimmed down to fit the stock festy brackets. Seen here.

Now I thought it was a waste to just not use these brackets because they seem well made and are greasable. Iwas thinking of a way to just keep them in one place. the idea I came up with is just a simple washer/spacer that fits into the slot.

So I'm here in ohio right now, and I don't really have access to any CNC mills until I go home. Other than the multi-million dollar ones at work that I'm not allowed to use/touch.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in a set of these? Anyone foresee any issues with something like this?

It could be a fun project. I know the other issue is that its rounded above the bushing on a festiva, but that can be fixed easily with a plate of metal, and potentially could just be left the way it is.

Another concern might be that the Energy Sway mount might not be suitable for using as a stressed suspension component, maybe flex/break?

I'm just throwing this idea out cause it would be nice to have this as a feasible upgrade for the festy/aspire.
    Hodginsa - Photography - Cars, people, everything.

Festy is For Sale...

They seemed pretty thin and lacked reinforcement imo.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I've had good luck with a flat aluminum plate under the energy bracket. With the stock flanged nuts, it wont move front to back.

A person could even use a big washer under both sides to center it. Mines been like this for yrs.

Youe washers are a great idea too.

Here is a pic o M3nTaLs car. Mine is the same.

-Greg
      Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
      Redneck Engineer
      FOTY - '09
      5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
        They seemed pretty thin and lacked reinforcement imo.
        The shearing stress would have to be massive to break those off. You have to imagine that they are undergoing pressure from the top, the little lip is just to avoid movement of the bracket itself. The stud would probably break at the same time as the lip breaking off.

I was thinking about the plate idea, but I didn't go that route because I just had an alignment, and the adjustablilty of the brackets means your sway bar could be no in its original position, I had to push the car forward while in gear to get my swap bar back to the right place to get the old brackets on.

Festy is For Sale...

Comment

One would most likely want to use a tape measure for something like that...now wouldn't they?

:p

I'm going to use the ES brackets someday.
          '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Doesn't anyone remember this thread?

Discuss improvements to your Festiva or Aspire in the handling, braking, wheels and tires areas.
            -Josh R

Comment

I've probably looked at every sway bar bushing thread haha, but there only seems to be one case of anyone talking about a bracket breaking, and that wasn't even with an Energy Suspension component(Suspension Tech). While there are numerous people using the Energy Suspension with a plate to hold them. But I figured it would be nice to have an alignment spacer for reassurance.

Festy is For Sale...

Comment

I can only speak from physical driving experience, Greg's (EurOtivA) car is the tightest Festiva I have ever driven, it feels SOLID.

So I'm not worried about my brackets not being able to do the job.

But that's just my opinion.
                -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Originally posted by M3NTAL View Post
                  I can only speak from physical driving experience, Greg's (EurOtivA) car is the tightest Festiva I have ever driven, it feels SOLID.

So I'm not worried about my brackets not being able to do the job. If so, have you installed it over the crossmember or upside down so it goes under it?

But that's just my opinion.
                  Are you running an Aspire sway bar?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
                  Last edited by fastivaca; 07-15-2012, 07:27 PM.
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada
                  93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                  59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

I was...I just went back to a Festiva one, I might switch back again.

You just never know with me lol
                    -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Wouldn't the plate between the sway bar bracket and its mount cause the Aspire bar to hit the crossmember? That's assuming the bar was installed over the crossmember. Mine is almost hitting with the stock brackets and bushings.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
                      Last edited by fastivaca; 07-15-2012, 10:39 PM.
                      Ian
                      Calgary AB, Canada
                      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Working...
                      X