2003-2005 rio has larger brakes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrFishah View Post
    I'm confused by this post. We have outer Rio/Aspire tie rods attached to Festiva inner tie-rods and it works perfectly....
    What year Rio tie rod ends are you using.
    Last edited by nitrofarm; 07-16-2012, 04:18 PM.
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by rbrown View Post
      Wait what? Are you saying the brakes would be too strong for the little Festy?
      No, not at all! I just know that the proportioning valve is meant for the stock brakes. Upgrade to Aspire parts, and they're designed to once again work in the same manner. If you change your rotors up front to a larger diameter than stock without upgrading your rear drums to Aspire or swapping it out with EGT or Capri or that VW swap, you throw the proportions get thrown off.
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
        What year Rio tie rod ends are you using.
        As stated above by Russian, the Rio tie-rod ends are the same (According to AutoZone/Napa/Orielly/Etc) whether the Rio is a 2001 or 2004. These are the same tie-rods that fit the mid-90s Aspire.

In our case, we purchased Outer Rods from a 2001 Rio and Inner rods for a 1993 Festiva.
        #33 Ford Festiva "We Are Not Really From Iran" - 24-Hours of LeMons 3x Trophy Winner & Class B Winner

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
          No, not at all! I just know that the proportioning valve is meant for the stock brakes. Upgrade to Aspire parts, and they're designed to once again work in the same manner. If you change your rotors up front to a larger diameter than stock without upgrading your rear drums to Aspire or swapping it out with EGT or Capri or that VW swap, you throw the proportions get thrown off.
          Ok. My plan. Swap Aspire rear, Rio front, new Festy master cylinder, new hoses.

I guess I will see if it gets twitchy or have lock-up problems.
          Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

Ok. My plan. Swap Aspire rear, Rio front,
            Which Rio?
            rusEfi - DIY ECU
            93 EFI: tach cluster, aspire mirrors & spindles. ZX2 master cylinder, BP+G25 swap with a door hinge, rio struts. 205/50r15, 140mph speedometer,rear disk brakes, mini cooper + subaru front brakes rear sway bar

Comment

Originally posted by russian View Post
              Which Rio?
              Oh snap. 2003.
              Rodney

Comment

Ok. My plan. Swap Aspire rear, Rio front, new Festy master cylinder, new hoses.

I guess I will see if it gets twitchy or have lock-up problems.
                It's cheaper as well as an upgrade to use the 94 Protege BMC instead. You will immediately feel the improvement. The Protege BMC is the same as the EGT BMC (YMCA, LOL, BRB, WTH, FTW!) Although it uses an external proportioning valve instead of an internal one like the EGT which needs to be blocked off in order to function properly.
                In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                  It's cheaper as well as an upgrade to use the 94 Protege BMC instead. You will immediately feel the improvement. The Protege BMC is the same as the EGT BMC (YMCA, LOL, BRB, WTH, FTW!) Although it uses an external proportioning valve instead of an internal one like the EGT which needs to be blocked off in order to function properly.
                  Noted.
                  Rodney

Comment

As stated above by Russian, the Rio tie-rod ends are the same (According to AutoZone/Napa/Orielly/Etc) whether the Rio is a 2001 or 2004. These are the same tie-rods that fit the mid-90s Aspire.

In our case, we purchased Outer Rods from a 2001 Rio and Inner rods for a 1993 Festiva.
                    Ok cool,I thought there was a difference. Perhaps I'm thinking of the extra length thats on the knuckle where the the tie rod joint drops into. There is a reason why folks havent used the Rio Knuckles yet.IIRC it puts the inner/outers at an angle,as oppossed to being inline with the rack
                    Last edited by nitrofarm; 07-16-2012, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Perhaps I'm thinking of the extra length thats on the knuckle where the the tie rod joint drops into. There is a reason why folks havent used the Rio Knuckles yet.IIRC it puts the inner/outers at an angle,as oppossed to being inline with the rack
                      So I'm sure there are lots of people reading this thread who are interested in using the 03/04 Rio Spindles to gain the extra brakes.

Do you have any links, documents, or specs to support this claim of an incorrect angle? Do you know somebody that's tried and failed? If we aren't sure of something, lets wait until we are so that we don't mislead others.

We will have the 03/04 Rio spindles ready to install shortly and we will report back with our findings (hopefully definitive answers to the wheel bearing issue and the tie-rod angle issue).
                      #33 Ford Festiva "We Are Not Really From Iran" - 24-Hours of LeMons 3x Trophy Winner & Class B Winner

Comment

So I'm sure there are lots of people reading this thread who are interested in using the 03/04 Rio Spindles to gain the extra brakes.

Do you have any links, documents, or specs to support this claim of an incorrect angle? Do you know somebody that's tried and failed? If we aren't sure of something, lets wait until we are so that we don't mislead others.

We will have the 03/04 Rio spindles ready to install shortly and we will report back with our findings (hopefully definitive answers to the wheel bearing issue and the tie-rod angle issue).
                        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=41641 see post 100,122 etc MrFishah this thread is located in the "Custom Suspension,Brakes & Wheels".Its on the first page just a few threads below this one.Sorry I mislead you wont let it happen again.
                        Last edited by nitrofarm; 07-17-2012, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Thanks for posting that link. Sorry if my post made me come off sounding like a dick, I just wanted to make sure nobody else goes and buys something that might not work.

That other thread is a great read. I'm still thoroughly confused though lol.

We will report back with updates and pics as soon as we're done. Thanks!

Comment

Yep, I remembered Rectilinear had done the Rio knuckle swap. I'm planning on doing this swap to Prettystiva.

However, I read somewhere on here that the '03 and later knuckles were different and would not work.

I have not confirmed that myself, so press on and let us know!

A "bigger brake" upgrade would please some folks. Maybe even me!

Karl
                            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Thanks for posting that link. Sorry if my post made me come off sounding like a dick, I just wanted to make sure nobody else goes and buys something that might not work.

That other thread is a great read. I'm still thoroughly confused though lol.

We will report back with updates and pics as soon as we're done. Thanks!
                              Its all good let us know what you find.

Comment

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=41641 see post 100,122 etc MrFishah this thread is located in the "Custom Suspension,Brakes & Wheels".Its on the first page just a few threads below this one.Sorry I mislead you wont let it happen again.
                                Ha I was going to bring up this other thread too.
                                Rodney

Comment

Working...
                                X