X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rim Question

Yes... another one.
    My first one though.
    I'm tired of wearing out expensive 12" tires so I'm looking to upgrade to bigger ones with more mileage.

I found these 13" rims on cl. They guy still has them.

I've asked him to measure the lug spacing.

My questions are:
    Does anyone know anything about that rim? Offset? Brand?
    Is that a good tire size to use for a Festiva for good acceleration, braking and corning and to keep the speedo accurate?
    ~Austin
    Red 88 L (Ocho)

Those look like aftermarket rims. Call him to see if he can measure the bolt pattern, or if you can go do it yourself. Also, ask if he can look on the back of the wheel and see if it lists the offset, which is important.

If the offset is between 35 and 45, it should work if it's a 5" or 5.5" wide wheel. If it's a 6" wide wheel, I'm not sure.

Festiva bolt pattern is 4 X 114.3mm.

The tire size, 175/70-13, will usually work, sometimes with some rubbing in the back, depending on spring fatigue, offset, etc. If you go to Aspire spec rear struts you get more inside room for tire fitment.

If you want easy to use wheel swap get some Metro 13" steel rims. They're 13 X 4.5", in an acceptable offset, the correct bolt pattern, the perfect hub diameter, and usually come with either 155/80s or 175/70s. both of which usually will work on that wheel.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Oren, can you explain to us why the 12's are wearing out so fast, do you have an Alignment or toe in problem, aggressive driving?
      An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
        Those look like aftermarket rims. Call him to see if he can measure the bolt pattern, or if you can go do it yourself. Also, ask if he can look on the back of the wheel and see if it lists the offset, which is important.

If the offset is between 35 and 45, it should work if it's a 5" or 5.5" wide wheel. If it's a 6" wide wheel, I'm not sure.

Festiva bolt pattern is 4 X 114.3mm.

The tire size, 175/70-13, will usually work, sometimes with some rubbing in the back, depending on spring fatigue, offset, etc. If you go to Aspire spec rear struts you get more inside room for tire fitment.

If you want easy to use wheel swap get some Metro 13" steel rims. They're 13 X 4.5", in an acceptable offset, the correct bolt pattern, the perfect hub diameter, and usually come with either 155/80s or 175/70s. both of which usually will work on that wheel.

Karl
        This is all very sound advice: Track down some Metro steelies.
        I hate to say this but 12's are generally as inexpensive a tire as you can get, when you can find them. They are still a stock item at Canadian Tire up here and at $32 you'd be hard pressed to find less expensive tires. I have 1/2 dozen brand new 12" Goodyear snows that I'd be happy to move along.

If ever you get a hankering for really good brakes and wheels put an Aspire undercarraige into your Festy and then you can really go to town with rims and tires.

Comment

The 12" tires here are about $60 for the cheapest at any tire shop. The ones I bought a year ago have worn down to the wear indicators in 26000 miles.
          Buying 12" tires online comes to about the same as a tire shop sun you roll in shipping and mounting. Unless there are some 60 or 80000 mile 12", id rather upgrade.

For $60ish I can get a 13 or 14" tire with wider tread and better wear.
          I drive A LOT. At least 4000 miles a month. Im looking for the best wear value ultimately.
          ~Austin
          Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Oren, look for 165/65 R13 at tires-easy.com. you should see them for less than $45 before shipping. http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...hen=View+tires
            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Here are the Nakang's at Tires-easy:

Reifen für PKWs und Transporter extrem günstig. Wir bieten Ihnen Autoreifen äußerst vorteilhaft! Klitzekleine Preise, versandkostenfreie Lieferung schon ab 2 Reifen, günstiger Montageservice für Reifen fast überall in der Schweiz, unkomplizierte Bestellung, flexible Zahlungsabwicklung, sehr große Auswahl

Shipping to my part of the country is under $30 for all four. The 155/80s are a few dollars cheaper and are probably the best value. They have 145/80s too, but not at a better price.

I ordered two Nankangs in the 165/70 size a while back and they seem to do well.

Service from Tires-easy has been great to me over four separate orders.

That said, the Aspire or Aspire/Rio suspension/brake swap is perhaps the best thing you can do to a Festiva, and Tires-easy does have some better prices on various normal and odd 13" sizes.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I just switched to modest-sized 14s 3 weeks ago. What a whale of a difference in quality of ride. They're actually vibration-free and round at freeway speeds. Excellent quality (they were clearance bin Nokias) tires for a change compared to the Motomaster and Cooper 12s that are still available.
                I did come across unused Toyo 155/80-13s on perfect Metro rims via Kijiji last spring but seeing as I now have 100mm bolt pattern (instead of Festy 4 1/2 inch) I passed on the $200 asking price. However, good deals do exist if you're patient.

Comment

Just to reiterate my previous post, that size 13" tire I posted has the same outer diameter as the stock tire, but an almost two inch wider stance. If it matters, this will keep your speedo accurate.
                  There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

I've abused my nankang tires for more than 10k miles and they are holding up great.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                      Just to reiterate my previous post, that size 13" tire I posted has the same outer diameter as the stock tire, but an almost two inch wider stance. If it matters, this will keep your speedo accurate.
                      Have to be 155/70 or 65s x13 in order to keep with OEM 145/80-12 Festy sizes. I gave up on the American speedo (I have) right from the start since it reads in miles and now concentrate on the tach. Most highways have mile markers (or km) and if you have access to a GPS unit it is easy to calibrate your speedo.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                        Have to be 155/70 or 65s x13 in order to keep with OEM 145/80-12 Festy sizes. I gave up on the American speedo (I have) right from the start since it reads in miles and now concentrate on the tach. Most highways have mile markers (or km) and if you have access to a GPS unit it is easy to calibrate your speedo.
                        From Rims&Tires.com:

Nit picky, really, and the 155's are a little cheaper.
                        Last edited by DriverOne; 07-17-2012, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Thank you Driver One.
                          But I suspect that most of the 'kids' on here only want tires that appear to make an ordinary car look like a 'tuner' or a dragster. 165/65-13s (Kumho brand?) are not available anymore and 175/70s may be common and inexpensive, and there is lots of choice, but they're borderline 'oversize' on a Festy, especially if you don't want to draw attention to yourself.
                          If ever I get a B6T or a turbo BP properly mounted into a car I own and it still looks exterior stock then maybe I'll start looking at overly wide wheels too. Sort of like thumping your chest while lighting a big cigar.

Not likely, pounds per square inch of direct surface contact on the tarmac is best accomplished with skinny tires. Been there done that for 40 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                            165/65-13s (Kumho brand?) are not available anymore
                            Yes they are! :evil4:

I thought that a 10mm change wouldn't be that visible, just because the wheels I chose were a 5.5" wide wheel and the stock Festiva steels are 4 and 4.5". I assumed that the change in width would fit the change in tire width thus hiding the size differential.

Oh and I imagine this would be the result of beating your chest and lighting a cigar:

All in jest, Bert
                            Last edited by DriverOne; 07-17-2012, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Good info guys.
                              For the time being I've opted to stay with my 12s. Should I do an Aspire swap down the road, I will upgrade to 13s.
                              So, I want your info on the best wear rated 12" tires. I have Khumo Powerstars right now. The rears are down to the wear indicators ans the fronts that are only a couple months old are nearing there as well. Im a pizza delivery driver so I eat up rubber like crazy.
                              Traction is important, especially in wet weather, but I will sacrifice a bit for a harder longer wearing rubber. What is the best 12" tire y'all have found for tread life?
                              ~Austin
                              Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Working...
                              X