No announcement yet.

Rear camber problem! help! please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I've done about 90 percent of my own alignments and a bunch of race cars ( even on a few pro teams) with stuff I got at the hardware store, so I know what your talking about (aboot?). I enjoy reading about other peoples techniques and tricks, but I gotta crack a joke from time to time to keep myself awake.
    Speaking of British junk, I have an old Triumph T150 ( motorcycle) that I wish I had never bought. Shoulda bought an old Honda instead, then I'd be riding the bike rather than working around it in the garage.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
      Yeah, I've done about 90 percent of my own alignments and a bunch of race cars ( even on a few pro teams) with stuff I got at the hardware store, so I know what your talking about (aboot?). I enjoy reading about other peoples techniques and tricks, but I gotta crack a joke from time to time to keep myself awake.
      Speaking of British junk, I have an old Triumph T150 ( motorcycle) that I wish I had never bought. Shoulda bought an old Honda instead, then I'd be riding the bike rather than working around it in the garage.
      Foolishly I bought into British cars when I was old enough to drive. My buddies and colleagues all drove sedate Chevy Beaumonts and Plymouth Valiants which were rugged and reliable. Whereas I spent 2 hours under or on my Minis for every hour they were on the road. Consequently I learned an awful lot about cars, and they didn't! There were so many engineering nightmares and mechanical Rube Goldberg contraptions on British cars that when I finally switched over to a 68 Chevy truck I felt like I went to heaven. About the only thing I grew to appreciate that was British was the simplicity of SU carbs. I couldn't help but notice the first Datsun 240Zs even featured them.

Comment

A friend of mines dad was an engineer for SU in the 50's and 60's. He'll smile when I tell him what you said. Lol
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

A friend of mines dad was an engineer for SU in the 50's and 60's. He'll smile when I tell him what you said. Lol
          We are on the same page when it comes to incorporating things that are simple, easy to fix, and that work. I am still an admirer of the SU carburetor.
          The Japanese became keen studies after they lost the war. The Koreans are currently up to bat. Heaven forbid what happens when a country with 1000 potential geniuses and engineers, for every 10 in the west, gets serious about ruling the world through sales of smartly thought out, reliable and practical transportation. Do not ever underestimate the Chinese.
          We live in interesting times.

Comment

Good SU style engineering starts with the throttle cable lifting the slide..

Of course good holleys have mechanical secondaries!

The best small fuel injection...CIS !!

LOL but todays direct injection will be the best probably...It
            multi fuels anything liquid!

Now point to order, who makes that digital cube??
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Gidday Movin! Lee Valley Tools (Canadian and originated in Ottawa) carries high-end hand tools and measuring devices. Pretty impressive selection and website. I'm sure they carry the 'angle blocks'. I've used the same magnetic angle reader to square-up table saw blades and bits in a drill press. When you zero the device while it is resting on the horizontal table and then magnetically attach it to the blade, or bit, it tells how how many degrees you are from zero. Faster and more accurate than a machinist's square, providing nothing is warped.
              Of course they don't give these things away, price-wise.

Comment

They are probably more reasonable than the magnetic ones made just for alignment,
                that we use and even caster could be calculated on the front if steering angle could
                be measured.

Comment

Digital Angle Cube Bevel Gage. Get precise angle readings. Large LCD display reads upright at any angle. Portable Digital Angle Gauge with Magnetic Base. Tangent tilt rate %, shows tilt in %. CNC machined aluminum body.

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                    Good SU style engineering starts with the throttle cable lifting the slide..

Of course good holleys have mechanical secondaries!

The best small fuel injection...CIS !!

LOL but todays direct injection will be the best probably...It
                    multi fuels anything liquid!

Now point to order, who makes that digital cube??

Made by I Gaging, I bought it on eBay for like 30 bucks. I have 2 of them, one is a couple years old and works great still. I also noticed that Harbor freight now sells a similar product. I think it's around the same price range. Haven't tried it, but I've had a poor success rate with anything digital that is sold by HF.
                    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 07-20-2012, 10:13 AM.

Comment

^^^Movin found it on eBay. They are well built little tools. I also have a longacre gauge just like the gauge in that other auction, but I prefer to use the angle cube and a straight edge. Those other ones don't always fit with the wheel on and they are harder to read than a digital number.
                      Steer angle can be measured several ways. I use the same stuff as Bert. Chalk a scale and aprotractor. It's rough, and you can't compare numbers to other people this way (unless those people are doing it the exact same way) but it can be used to tune an individual car. And, when all your chassis tuning tools need to fit in a festiva along with fuel, tires, chairs, easy up and a suitcase, it's hard to bring toe plates.
                      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 07-20-2012, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Back on topic of rear camber.

I made plates that sandwich between the stub axle and the beam. I ground them at a 1.5 degree angle to put my camber at -1.25 degrees when the car is dropped 3" from stock. This also allows me to tuck 15x7" rims with no rubbing.

Comment

Back on topic of rear camber.

I made plates that sandwich between the stub axle and the beam. I ground them at a 1.5 degree angle to put my camber at -1.25 degrees when the car is dropped 3" from stock. This also allows me to tuck 15x7" rims with no rubbing.
                          Now that I can safely say is ingenious. Much stronger than the unknown quality of wheel spacers plus it enables changes to castor/camber.

Comment

Thanks Bert. I threaded the plates for 7/16-20 and drilled my stub axles and installed grade 8 1 3/4 7/16 bolts for more strength and more thread.

Comment

Working...
                            X