13" All-Terrain tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13" All-Terrain tires?

Well, it looks as though my brother, member Eokang has finally gone Festy. His 1989 C10 Jimmy is almost a paperweight, and he's not going to be able to fix it due to a four letter word we all know as 'life'. Thus, there are plans to build a rally spec Festiva. Mind you, we have to GET one first. A full Aspire suspension will lift the car and give it the capabilities he needs just to get up the driveway to Dad's house, and I hope to see a B6 or B8 mated to an Aspire trans for torque. This car will also most likely be the first around with a light bar on the top and will definitely have a roll cage. There's a high likelihood of a complete bedliner paint job with camouflage to cover it, and a treadplate interior. The problem I've come across is this: nobody makes A/T's in a 13"? I've found golf cart and ATV tires, but of course they won't work even for a small car. Am I missing something?
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Ask Movin.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Smallest all-terrain tires I can find are 195/75 R14 at over $100 each. That's a 25" dia. tire compared to the 21" dia. tire stock. Seems massive. There would definitely be a need to cut and flare the fenders. That would require super light wheels just to compensate for the 11-lb. tires! Maybe snow tires then? He's got to be able to clear a mud patch at the bottom of a hill without getting stuck.

What would real rally cars use?
      Last edited by DriverOne; 07-25-2012, 08:54 AM.
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

D1 wrote:

"Smallest all-terrain tires I can find are 195/75 R14 at over $100 each. That's a 25" dia. tire compared to the 21" dia. tire stock. Seems massive. There would definitely be a need to cut and flare the fenders. That would require super light wheels just to compensate for the 11-lb. tires! Maybe snow tires then? He's got to be able to clear a mud patch at the bottom of a hill without getting stuck."

You might try snow tires, especially if you can get them used after one or two seasons. Try CL to see what might be available. Folks sometimes sell their cars and forget to sell the extra set of snows they left in the basement.

Eleven pound tires, you say? My Falken 175/60-13s weighed about 15 pounds, I think. Some 195/75-14s should weigh over 20 pounds easily. Check the Tire Rack for their specs, including tire weights.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Why not run snow tires. I have a set of 155/80/13 that work quite well off road. Hankook also makes a couple 13" rally tires.

Sent from my iPhone via tapatalk

Comment

13"??? You need all the soft side wall you can get for smooth rides over washboards
            and good flotation in sand. The side by side tires are rated at 1000 lbs per tire as they
            carry 6 people plus guns,ammo and coolers. Little over kill for the festy but I like a little
            over kill the way I play, hunt and fish.
            You need aggressive knobbies as we are front wheel drive, but there are a few builds
            on here that could be fun in the dunes with the awd they have
            You need DOT approved as you may encounter paved roads or want to drive over
            to the local saloon for a burger.

My favorite for this is the STI Black Diamond XTR or ATR mounted on stock steelies.
            I like the 25 8 12 for the 1 3/8 tall knobs, or if you are not lifted much the 23 8 12
            may fit better

Festy wheels fit most arctic cat ATV's and the reverse could be worked out. The wheels
            available will blow your mind, they are awesome! They are mostly 8 inch wide rims
            with various offsets. Wider too but they are for the wider tires. I have not tried these
            rims. For now I am going to mount them on my steel rims when I get the tires.

The 14 inch tires would need more lift and gearing to match.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Also, a lot of budget minded rally racers use snow tires and have them groved. You can take a set of 155/13 hankook zovac hp tires and cut out the center treads into a checker pattern. A friend of mine did this because he could no longer get the Pirelli rally tires in a small diameter 13. They worked great and even lasted longer. Michelin arctic alpine tires work good for this too, but cost twice what the hankooks do. There are a ton of aggressive snow tires in small diameter 13" fitment so you shouldn't have any problems with this.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

These are the winterforce Firestones I have run them at 8 - 10 psi and they are
                  not enough tire to handle even washboard roads. They are way better than street
                  tires don't get me wrong but nothing compares to the ride and performance of
                  the UTV tire.

Comment

worn out 12 stock tire
                    Non DOT ATV tires that I did proof of concept with.
                    They are only rated at 500 lbs per tire but rode beautifully.
                    I need the DOT .

Comment

http://youtu.be/2_mZ5Sf3zyU

Flipped stock steelies, ATV tires, and Chevy truck springs, IIRC.
                      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

^^Nice bug!
                        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
                        X