Stiffer Motor Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiffer Motor Mounts

So, I don't think Festiva Motorsports is available anymore and I'm looking to stiffen up my motor mounts.

For the front mount I'm just gonna make the inserts, because I have a lathe and it should be easy. In fact I'd be whiling to make them for anyone else once I figure out a price.

The rear seems trickier though. Without having a place to buy high durometer mounts I'm not sure of a way to stiffen them up. I can't make it solid metal (and I wouldn't want to anyway), so does anyone have any ideas?

The only real idea i have right now is just to just try and epoxy a polyurethane block to the plates, but I'd be really afraid it would come apart.
    Last edited by jemartin144; 08-03-2012, 10:10 PM.

Even with solid mounts, you can't really tell because the crossmember is rubber mounted
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I probably wouldn't really mind either, but for autocrossing it cant be solid. But that's another good point that i hadn't thought about, I wonder if i could eliminate those crossmember to chassis bushings. That would help stiffen up the engine. I'd probably have to make some spacers or something to hold the crossmember in.

Comment

I had a solid rear for awhile until my new one arrived. Even with the rubber in the
        cross-member it was way too noisy and vibrated the dash bad! It sure was nice
        getting the new mount in place. More recently I dropped and rolled the transmission
        by making a 3 inch thick rear solid cross-member mount. I noticed no change
        in noise or vibration. I left the rubber front in place to allow the new angle.
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

You could use poly bushings like swaybar endlinks, and drill through the metal and rubber on the rear mount use 2 holes, on either side of the stud. After the holes are drilled rip the old rubber apart and grind it all off both sides. Using a pair of bolts and lock washers bolt the two pieces back together using the two poly bushings in place of the rubber. Don't over tighten them, the Polly will crack if compressed to much, but make sure their good and tight. The conquest/starion guys fix their trans mounts this way and they have a similar design only theirs used two rubber blocks, one on each side of the tail shaft housing .
          Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
          93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
          91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
          93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
          15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
          88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Originally posted by gauge_half_inch View Post
            You could use poly bushings like swaybar endlinks, and drill through the metal and rubber on the rear mount use 2 holes, on either side of the stud.
            you mean like this?

I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Not quite. The stock rear mount. Basically removing the rubber chunk and replacing it with two of those bushings between the original metal halfs.

Dennis
              91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
              88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Because the poly is so much stiffer four might be preferable?
                assume that the poly has a sleeve to prevent bolt contact
                with metal..
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

guage, I could see something lke that working. I wonder if it would be enough material. Maybe making a block the size of the original out of poly and bolting it in? Id think anything with a bolt wouldnt give enough without isolating it from the metal brackets.
                  Last edited by jemartin144; 08-04-2012, 08:25 PM.

Comment

If the conquest and its 2.6L turbo charged engine is fine with just 2, I think it should be just fine for ours.

Dennis
                    88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

i think i still have a stock cross member laying around some where that i could check to see what is needed to make a set of these if someone is interested.
                      I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

I've been looking around and I found this aftermarket Miata motor mount that I think the same concept may work for stiffening up the festiva mount. It would take some fabricating, but it doesn't look like it would be too hard. I'm gonna try and mock something up like it.

Also, I finished the front mount. I'll try to get it in later today and I'll report back. It's a bit heavier than OEM, but it should be much stiffer. I've got enough material to make a few more. So, if anyone's interested let me know and I'll come up with a price. (btw, I went with the amber over black because it has the same properties, but its cheaper)

Last edited by jemartin144; 08-05-2012, 11:04 AM.

Comment

I might be interested in a poly front mount.

Waiting to see your modded Miata rear mount idea shape up, too.

Karl
                          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

For the front and engine mount I would (and did) fill a new stock replacement with two part polyurethane epoxy. I suggest the URS 2050 (50A durometer) polyurethane system from Forsch polymers.
                            No lathe necessary, it hardens in hours and firms the engine mounting without sacrificing traction or drivability. I have this same resin in the stock engine mount and the custom rear mount on tweak, it's held up to over 20k miles of my abuse.
                            Just google forsche polymers, they are in CO, nice people, and they supply a lot of the polymers to many aftermarket suspension companies.

Also, an idea for the rear mount that I don't think anyone has mentioned is to swap out to an Aspire mount and that can also be poly filled.

If you are more comfortable buying local, and have some time to wait, the black loctite brand polyurethane roofing sealer sold at hardware stores is a great mount filler, but it takes lots of thin applications and lots of drying time. A properly done mount using this technique will take a couple weeks. The two part resin cures ultra fast, but the loctite solution is cheaper and only requires a trip to home depot.
                            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I assumed the rear aspire mount is the same as the festiva mount. Are they different?

Comment

Working...
                              X