Spring Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Rates

Anyone know what the ideal front and rear spring rates would be for a Festiva? My car is a bit heavier in the front then most, and I don't mind a stiff ride, so I'm just wondering what spring rate I should be using. I'm actually trying to find out if the coil springs on my coil overs are too stiff for my car.

Thanks.
    * Retired Festiva-er*
    1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
    B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Re: Spring Rates

Originally posted by B6T
    Anyone know what the ideal front and rear spring rates would be for a Festiva? My car is a bit heavier in the front then most, and I don't mind a stiff ride, so I'm just wondering what spring rate I should be using. I'm actually trying to find out if the coil springs on my coil overs are too stiff for my car.

Thanks.

Haha you didn't even know this easy question! Its like B6T's have rockers right!

Anyways its 4kg front 3kg rear . There is no ideal rate because rates are based on use. But this is the rate of the Teins. So must be pretty close.
    I know my drives really good and I have a little 2L with tranny and Transfer case alot heavier than your small block with mico tranny.

Comment

Ok now tell me how you calculated those spring rates. If I knew how to calculate the force acting upon the spring while under compression, which I could calculate if I knew the acceleration of the wheel throughout its travel over bumps, then I wouldn't need to ask this question in the first place. I'm assuming you've already done this, right?

* Retired Festiva-er*
      1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
      B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

I have 220lb front and 180lb rear this was just a guess when i ordered them but 4kg/mm = 223lb and 3kg/mm =167lb
        so i am a little stiff on the rear but thats cool i am using 2.5 id HAL QA1 coilover springs from summit on ractive adjuster bodies
        i bought them in 9 in length they look great and were $40 each will install soon.
        Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
        - Dennis Grant
        FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

got my QA1 springs installed on GR2 struts. been on a few high spirited runs and i must say combined with my RWD offset wheels it handles spectacularly. as predicted the rear is a bit stiff and gets little bouncy on rough corners, but the front just grips and goes. I think i will order a pair of 150lb eibachs in 7in for the rear. shorter so i can actually use my rear adjusters as they are bottomed at just under stock height. i couldn't be more satisfied (well maybe if I could find some AGX struts that could be adapted).
          Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
          - Dennis Grant
          FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

Working...
          X